[Need Help] With reflecting the light off of mirror/glass.

Hello everyone.

So i have made this big room (box) with big mirrors on the walls, floor and roof covering the entire room. And I put one light source close to the roof in centre facing downwards onto the mirror on the floor, i was trying to make it so that the light reflect off of mirrors and lit the room but instead it shows black. How do i make it so that the light reflects from all those mirrors.

I'll really appreciate the help.

Comments

• You probably need to increase the render path length in the render tab (may have got the name wrong, but it's something like that). I think it's 0 or 1 by default - will allow 1 reflection. You probably need more. The more you allow, the longer it will take to render. However, you will need a few. For the render here: https://gal.cdn.renderosity.com/images/image_3008774/fa8f74793e21237e292c80a8630eb094_original.jpg?v=1622618634 I had to go up to 9 before all the obelisk interior was reflections rather than black.
  • richardandtracy said:

You probably need to increase the render path length in the render tab (may have got the name wrong, but it's something like that). I think it's 0 or 1 by default - will allow 1 reflection. You probably need more. The more you allow, the longer it will take to render. However, you will need a few. For the render here: https://gal.cdn.renderosity.com/images/image_3008774/fa8f74793e21237e292c80a8630eb094_original.jpg?v=1622618634 I had to go up to 9 before all the obelisk interior was reflections rather than black.

Right, I will check that out. Thanks. 

• -1 should work though as infinite

• zaselim_08eb9236zaselim_08eb9236 Posts: 64
    edited November 2021

richardandtracy said:

You probably need to increase the render path length in the render tab (may have got the name wrong, but it's something like that). I think it's 0 or 1 by default - will allow 1 reflection. You probably need more. The more you allow, the longer it will take to render. However, you will need a few. For the render here: https://gal.cdn.renderosity.com/images/image_3008774/fa8f74793e21237e292c80a8630eb094_original.jpg?v=1622618634 I had to go up to 9 before all the obelisk interior was reflections rather than black.

Its not working for me "Max Path Length", Mine was set to -1 by default and I went upto 100. The image you posted is set in outdoor and mine is indoor in closed room without any outside light with just one light source at the top-centre of the room.

Post edited by zaselim_08eb9236 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,103

The room will be black because there is no reflection of anything . You will see the point of the light used reflected in the mirrors but nothing else. If you place a primitive cube below the light and the lumens are high enough you will see the cube reflected in all the mirrors lit by the light.

• zaselim_08eb9236zaselim_08eb9236 Posts: 64
    edited November 2021

Fishtales said:

The room will be black because there is no reflection of anything . You will see the point of the light used reflected in the mirrors but nothing else. If you place a primitive cube below the light and the lumens are high enough you will see the cube reflected in all the mirrors lit by the light.

Actually I also have my character in one corner, there are walls where the mirrors are hanging on and i thought the light should bounce off from walls.

I will try the method you mentioned and put a small cube under the light and see what happens. 

Post edited by zaselim_08eb9236 on
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,103

This is a mirror cube with a point light near the top. As you can see it lights the cube and the little bright dot is the light. The second image I moved the cube up and put the light inside the cube which I made translucent like a shade.

mirror-light-test-001.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 363K
    mirror-light-test-002.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 493K
  • Fishtales said:

This is a mirror cube with a point light near the top. As you can see it lights the cube and the little bright dot is the light. The second image I moved the cube up and put the light inside the cube which I made translucent like a shade.

Right, Mine is also a cube with painted walls and there are big mirror pieces on every wall and the roof and the floor covering around 70-80% with these mirrors. Right now i am rendering with the roof open and with sky only. After that i'm gonna try your method and see how it looks.

• Fishtales said:

Fire looks awesome in a mirror cube. 

• is your room a single poly in thickness and the normals are facing outwards by some chance?

I am not sure but flipped normals might not reflect light

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

That's just how Iray works.  The mirrors are r4eflecting the light, that's how you can see anything at all in there.  The parts of the mirror are where there is no light to reflect.  I have an odd suspicion that due to the right angles inside a cube that if you were able to do this exact thing in the real world that the result would be quite similar.