Reflection and Mirroring

I want to have a different person in a reflection than is in front of the glass.

I am sure I am not the first to attempt this.

I am trying to figure out the best way to do this.

I would like it to look real/authentic.

I am wondering if I just use another figure and make the mirror clear.

But I would rather not do that...

I would like to render the person in the glass then maybe somehow remove them from the scene and add the other person after.

I was wondering if I could do this with canvases.

But then I also wondered if I could just use the display toggles, you know the ones that are "display in render" and "display in viewport" etc and somehow turn one figure off visibly but still have the glass think they are still there.

...and have the glass ignore another figure...

That would be the best case scenario I think from my perspective.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I am willing to explore any and all possible techniques.

Thanks in advance for any help on this...

Comments

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Easiest : Render two images with a mirror and use GIMP/Photoshop to cut/paste reflection.

Most fun : Just use a glass shader for a mirror, copy/mirror the environment so that through the glass looks like a reflection but it's really a whole different room with a different character.

• It might work with Light Path Expressions in Canvases, if both figures were present and one could be set to show only in relfections and the other only indirect view - but I'm not sure how to do it in detail, or even that it really is possible.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

3DL supports the use of tracegroups.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,404
    edited November 2021

Is this what you are wanting?

What You Want.png
    2000 x 3236 - 6M
    What You Wanting.png
    2000 x 3236 - 3M
    2021-11-21 (2).png
    1920 x 1030 - 316K
    Post edited by AgitatedRiot on
  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Iray was designed for photorealism, so the simplest way is just to emulate Hollywood and either create a duplicate room with a different actor in it and pretend it's a mirror, or create two renders and composite them together. As Richard said, you might be able to do it with Light Path Expressions, but very few people know how those work.

I know Blender can do it, since it has a Light Path node you can use to mix elements together based on raycasts, but Daz's Shader Mixer has no documentation whatsoever so who knows if it can do that.

• Well I used a shader shame on me