Bryce on OS Yosemite 10.10.2

EamonEamon Posts: 159
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I updated my system a month ago (so no backups left in Time Machine) thinking Bryce would be fine as it did not show up in the apps that would not work nor did it have a question mark over it and it launched.

Of course I try to do anything at it crashes.

Do we have any update at all on weather we can get Bryce to work on OS 10.10.2?

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

No, the situation is still just the same as it was when this sticky thread was posted, unfortunately.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19948/

• EamonEamon Posts: 159
    edited December 1969

Is it quite a task sort out then? Or do Apple just makes thing difficult?

edited December 1969

I gather that something which Bryce needs was removed form the newer OS Xs code.

edited December 1969

Well I hope it can be sorted soon. Luckily I kept an older OS on my laptop so I can still produce some stuff.

• edited December 1969

Eamon said:
    Well I hope it can be sorted soon. Luckily I kept an older OS on my laptop so I can still produce some stuff.

Sadly I didnae have that luxury - so I'm struggling with a buggy Windows version of Bryce 7 running under WINE

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited August 2015

The problem is the registration system employed by Daz for Bryce. It requires old code that Apple informed developers that it would be eliminating. Unfortunately, the Daz coders didn't address the issue before the dev cycle ended on the last update. Another 3D software package ran into the same exact issue, but they came out with an update within a couple of weeks to fix it. This occured when 10.7 Lion came out and that was over three (3) years ago.

So, unless you want to run Bryce in a Windows emulator, it's effectively done on the Mac. If you have the option to run Snow Leopard, which any Mac built in the last 4 years can't do, then you can make a partition to have Snow Leopard on it and fun Bryce from there. Daz doesn't offer any help to users of Bryce on new Macs.

Post edited by MacSavers on

"Bryce being done on the Mac"? Is that an opinion or is this something you definitely know for sure.

Could this issue not be possibley fixed in the future?

• GezmoGezmo Posts: 18

There are several possibilities to work around this problem. Bottom line is you need Snow Leopard 10.6 or earlier to run Bryce.

A cheap solution is to buy a USB disk and install Snow Leopard on it. Then use this disk to boot your mac and run Bryce. If you have a new mac this however will not work. New Mac's will not boot from Snow Leopard anymore. Dead end?

Not quiet. You can use Yosemite (or any other version) and install VirtualBox on it (free download from Oracle, virtualbox.org). Then install SnowLeopard on VirtualBox. Assuming you have set up your Daz Install Manager on your Yosemite you don’t even need to install Bryce on Snow Leopard. You can connect to your Yosemite disk from Snow Leopard and run Bryce from there. 

I still have to test how well this renders. When I have done so I will let you know the results. I also will write an in-depth article on how exactly to do all this and put that on my website. 

To be continued…

Gezmo.

Or perish thought that the folks at Daz could actually just update their software like every body else has. Yosimte has been out for a while now.

But your info is very useful Gezmo and I will certialy be very interested to see how you get on. I have kept my laptop in Leopard just for Bryce but it's getting increasingly difficult to justifty.

Helas! No such luck. Everything works fine on an older Mac. So I thought I had it all figured out. But on a new mac (I don't know yet where the problem starts, maybe it has to do with the retina display??) even when virtualizing Snow Leopard in VirtualBox It just won't boot. This cries out for more research. I will create a new virtual system with a newer version of OS X to find out if the problem lies with Snow Leopard or with VirtualBox itself.

Eamon, how old is the mac you are working on. If it is not a brand new one you might be interested in the article about setting this up anyway. I did run a render with Bryce on a virtual Snow Leopard. I also was able to start the virtual Snow Leopard on a new mac book pro without retina display. So ... Let me know.

To be continued again....

Gezmo

Rosetta

Sure, this might explain why Bryce runs on Snow Leopard but not on any Version beyond. But I don't see what this has to do with a Mac failing to boot from Snow Leopard (10.6).

No new macs that come with OS X higher than 10.6 will run Snow leopard.

That might be true, but it will run Snow Leopard within VirtualBox. I just did this on a new macbook pro 13 innch in a shop with Yosemite on it.

• edited October 2015

IIRC you need Snow Leopard Server to be able to run it in an emulator such as VirtualBox or Fusion or Parallels.  There were a couple versions of VirtualBox and Fusion that would run Snow Leopard but then Apple intervened and they (VirtualBox and VMWare) made changes that keep non-server versions from booting.  I also seem to remember there being a hack you can do to make the non-server version look like the server version, but I can't find it at the moment.

At one time (back in 2013) you could call Apple at 1-800-MY-APPLE and buy a snow Leopard server disk for $20 (I did, if only I could find it...), but I don't know if Apple still sells them. I have a feeling it was limited to stock on hand and I doubt they would make more if they ran out.

Post edited by JayneAubrie Designs on

@JayneAubrie Designs

I installed Snow Leopard Server as well on a separate VirtualBox disk, and tested in a local Apple Store (iCenter) to be exact. I used a new Macbook Pro 15 inch with retina display, Snow Leopard nor Snow Leopard Server did boot in a virtual box environment. I also tried this on a new Macbook Air with a normal display from a colleague. Both Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server didl run nicely on this in Virtual Box. So it might be the retina display or related hardware which prevents the booting of Snow Leopard (Server) on the newest Macs.

• MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    Eamon said:

"Bryce being done on the Mac"? Is that an opinion or is this something you definitely know for sure.

Could this issue not be possibley fixed in the future?

Sorry for the late reply.

That's my opinion. I have nothing more to go by that the empirical evidence of lack of movement on this product. It's not even 64-bit and any application that any developer wants to continue to be viable in 2015, about to be 2016, should at least be 64-bit. It's pretty clear that the resources at Daz are being put in Daz Studio.

Now, I don't have an issue with that. Daz Studio is amazing and I use it every day. Bryce would be nice to have to use again, but it's not a deal breaker. Most of my 3D time is taken up by Studio as it most of Daz's time. That's the money maker at Daz3D. Bryce doesn't make that amount of money that Studio does just based on the items that are always at the top of the list for sales. The same goes for Carrara and Hexagon. Hexagon is a very nice modeler and would seem to be a natural to keep improving to add more tools to Studio, but many believe it to be in the same boat as Bryce. Many Carrara users are worried that they will be the next orphan. Studio has had several revisions in the last few years. The rest... well, Carrara had one. Everyone else has bumpkis.

• serendigityserendigity Posts: 7
    edited December 2015

I have a brand new iMac 27-inch 5K and use VMWare Fusion 8.0. I have a virtual Snow Leopard Server running and both Bryce 6.3 and 7.1 Pro run fine on it. 

Post edited by Chohole on

Hey serendigity, can you explain how you get a 'Virtual' snow leopard to work?

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    Eamon said:

Hey serendigity, can you explain how you get a 'Virtual' snow leopard to work?

You have to get the Snow Leopard SERVER edition... I'm presuming that was what you were asking. smiley

Ok cool, I will look in to that and hwo it works. Thank you.