very slow animation preview with G8 figures

vpla21marzovpla21marzo Posts: 2

Why in the animation previewer the G8 figures move very slowly? While if I animate G3 figures, does the animation go very fluid?

Sorry for my English
Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Possibly because there are more morphs and other properties on your Genesis 8 than on your genesis 3, and their effect on the pose has to be evaluated for each new pose as the Timeline advances. Do you also find that Daz Studio takes longer to load Genesis 8 than 3, and (if you check Task Manager) is slower to close after having a Genesis 8 in the scene than when only Genesis 3 loaded?

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2021

Bundles that constantly "improve" the Genesis slows down DAZ to snail pace because when you move 1 slider, those bundles move in the background other hidden sliders. The worst of this kind in my own experience is "Auto Face Enhancer HD" which ridiculously destroys DAZ's performance. Other bundles, no matter how good they are, also slow down DAZ (Bend Control for Genesis 8, Skin Folds & Creases HD, etc.)

A good way to improve the speed (for posing and/or animating) is to save your bundles in different "My DAZ Library" locations. This way in Edit > Preferences > Content > Content Directory Manager, you can activate-deactivate different DAZ Libraries depending on what you're doing. To pose a Genesis, keeping only the default DAZ Library that is there when you first install DAZ fresh, is the best way to have the best conditions to work on posing or animating. 

Another way to improve performance quiet a lot : If you make a custom morph, with ZBrush modifications or by mixing different girls or boys bundles into one character, you end up before posing with already a lot of "Actor" modifications activated. And every time you make a movement, DAZ needs to take all those sliders into consideration. Which slows down the app a lot. Solution :

Create your custom morph, export it as an obj. Then reset the Genesis to Base default in A-Pose (aka T-Pose). Load your custom morph (obj) with Morph Loader Pro. And create your own single slider to change Genesis base into this custom morph. This greatly simplifies calculations thus accelerates a bit the app. 

All this being said, there's no magical solution yet. I have a DAZ Library specifically made for setting keyframes, posing, animating. It works perfectly fine. But if I load just 2 or 3 DAZ bundles (morphs) that I need for a scene, this will slow down DAZ a lot already. Mostly only for the Female, not the male for some reason. 

I guess we can just hope for some in depth re-writing of the source code to get improvements on that. If I load a Genesis in Blender with thousands of morphs, it works much better. So there might be a way :/

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:

Bundles that constantly "improve" the Genesis slows down DAZ to snail pace because when you move 1 slider, those bundles move in the background other hidden sliders. The worst of this kind in my own experience is "Auto Face Enhancer HD" which ridiculously destroys DAZ's performance. Other bundles, no matter how good they are, also slow down DAZ (Bend Control for Genesis 8, Skin Folds & Creases HD, etc.)

A good way to improve the speed (for posing and/or animating) is to save your bundles in different "My DAZ Library" locations. This way in Edit > Preferences > Content > Content Directory Manager, you can activate-deactivate different DAZ Libraries depending on what you're doing. To pose a Genesis, keeping only the default DAZ Library that is there when you first install DAZ fresh, is the best way to have the best conditions to work on posing or animating. 

The don't have to be called My Daz 3D Library - the name of the content directory has no functional significance.

Another way to improve performance quiet a lot : If you make a custom morph, with ZBrush modifications or by mixing different girls or boys bundles into one character, you end up before posing with already a lot of "Actor" modifications activated. And every time you make a movement, DAZ needs to take all those sliders into consideration. Which slows down the app a lot. Solution :

Create your custom morph, export it as an obj. Then reset the Genesis to Base default in A-Pose (aka T-Pose). Load your custom morph (obj) with Morph Loader Pro. And create your own single slider to change Genesis base into this custom morph. This greatly simplifies calculations thus accelerates a bit the app. 

This is usually a poor idea as it removes all those links - sure, some of them have no importance but others, correcting the placement of the rotation centres or adjusting the effect of a bend - most certainly do.

All this being said, there's no magical solution yet. I have a DAZ Library specifically made for setting keyframes, posing, animating. It works perfectly fine. But if I load just 2 or 3 DAZ bundles (morphs) that I need for a scene, this will slow down DAZ a lot already. Mostly only for the Female, not the male for some reason. 

I guess we can just hope for some in depth re-writing of the source code to get improvements on that. If I load a Genesis in Blender with thousands of morphs, it works much better. So there might be a way :/

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited November 2021

"The don't have to be called My Daz 3D Library"

Indeed. Although I never said they had to.

Notice the quotes : [...] your bundles in different "My DAZ Library" locations [...].

It's easier to explain things by naming them the way everyone's used to.

This is usually a poor idea as it removes all those links - sure, some of them have no importance but others, correcting the placement of the rotation centres or adjusting the effect of a bend - most certainly do.

When someone buys a character fom the store and uses only 100% of this character's head and body, he does exactly what I advocate here : using a minimum amount of sliders to define the Genesis' shape before beginning to pose.

If someone uses many sliders (from body/face morphs bundles + eventually mixing already made human bundles) to create his own character, then he should export as obj, Morph Loader Pro it back to DAZ, save head and body morphs (HeadSplit DFormer > Adjust rig to shape > ERC Freeze). So that when he begins to pose, only 1 (Full body) or 2 sliders (FHM, FBM) are activated. 

What I'm talking about is exactly the way DAZ works. The way all bundles are sold. 

If it is "usually" a bad idea why would all DAZ human bundles be that way ?

​              1. Shaping :

Parameters > Actor (Shaping Tab) are set there and don't change except if the user changes his mind and wants to reshape his Genesis. That's why when a shape is defined, changing it to 1 single slider or 2 sliders (CTRL / FBM+FHM) is better (and again the way all bundles are made).  Reason being that it makes the task of calculating a position in space for each one of the 15,556 vertices composing a Genesis much easier for DAZ every time the user moves any part of the body. Thus speeding up a workflow after the body & face shapes have been validated.

2. Posing :

Parameters > Pose Controls (Posing Tab) on the other hand, sure has often hidden parameters, JCM, etc. that adjust vertices position while the user is creating poses. You're absolutely right. But this is in no relation whatsoever with the shaping.

Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • hansolocambo said:

"The don't have to be called My Daz 3D Library"

Indeed. Although I never said they had to.

Notice the quotes : [...] your bundles in different "My DAZ Library" locations [...].

It's easier to explain things by naming them the way everyone's used to.

When someone buys a character fom the store and uses only 100% of this character's head and body, he does exactly what I advocate here : using a minimum amount of sliders to define the Genesis' shape before beginning to pose.

If someone uses many sliders (from body/face morphs bundles + eventually mixing already made human bundles) to create his own character, then he should export as obj, import back, save head and body morphs (HeadSplit DFormer > Adjust rig to shape > ERC Freeze). So that when he begins to pose, only 1 (Full body) or 2 sliders (FHM, FBM) are activated. 

What I'm talking about is exactly the way DAZ works. The way all bundles are sold. 

If it is "usually" a bad idea why would all DAZ human bundles be that way ?

​              1. Shaping :

Parameters > Actor (Shaping Tab) are set there and don't change except if the user changes his mind and wants to reshape his Genesis. That's why when a shape is defined, changing it to 1 single slider or 2 sliders (CTRL / FBM+FHM) is better (and again the way all bundles are made).  Reason being that it makes the task of calculating a position in space for each one of the 15,556 vertices composing a Genesis much easier for DAZ every time the user moves any part of the body. Thus speeding up a workflow after the body & face shapes have been validated.

2. Posing :

Parameters > Pose Controls (Posing Tab) on the other hand, sure has often hidden parameters, JCM, etc. that adjust vertices position while the user is creating poses. You're absolutely right. But this is in no relation whatsoever with the shaping.

No, most characters will include additional, hidden, morphs and adjsutments to the joint centres thata re triggered when the shape is applied and some other property is also triggered (a joint bend or another morph) so that everything plays nicely. baking the morph down to a single morph does not preserve those links and is therefore a bad idea, at least if the msh is significantly changed.

• vpla21marzovpla21marzo Posts: 2
    edited November 2021

Another thing that appears to me when I load a G8 is the Duplicate Formulas Found message: Duplicate formulas found in files. Make sure that the content is properly installed. See the log file for more details.

I don't know if that will affect? because when I load a G3 it doesn't give me that message.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Duplicate formulas affect loading speed, and mean something won't be working as intended, but they shouldn't affect performace after load as far as know. Still you want to figure them out and resolve them if possible as they can easily triple load times in my experience - Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File and search for duplicate, usually this is a conflict between two products and the log will identify only one but the name(s) of the affected properties should help you to identify the other product, then you can report noth to their makers (for off-site products) or Daz Support.

• FrinkkyFrinkky Posts: 388

Any JCMs/corrective morphs will be lost if you 'bake' a character by exporting as an obj and reimporting as a morph.

To OP, reduce 'View SubD Level' to zero. Turn off any Mesh Smoothing (on the figure, geografts, clothing, hair) whilst working on the animation. Turn on again for the final render. This will help but, as Richard says, excessive amounts of morphs will also contribute to the slowdown - especially if there are a bunch of additional JCMs that must be calculated for each frame.

• Where can I find in which folder the Morphs of the characters are located? to rename it and create a new folder with only the character or characters that I want to animate.

• vpla21marzo said:

Where can I find in which folder the Morphs of the characters are located? to rename it and create a new folder with only the character or characters that I want to animate.

That wouldnot be a good idea. You could unistall the ones you don't want, or you could - especially if instaling through Daz Studio - set up an alternative content directory, and database, using Edit>Preferences>Content tab>Content Directory Manager and instal;l only the needed products (or just the base Starter essentials and any third-party products, then let Daz Studio prompt you to install anything else needed from the daz store).

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 282

Well, here's a seriously weird one to add into this thread. BTW got to this thread searching forums for "g8 puppeteer poses slow". It's currently taking circa 30 seconds to apply a g8 puppeteer pose to my G8 (where logically it seems to me it should be near instantaneous). But if I switch from "edit" to "preview" on the radio buttons, the posing is almost instananeous. Great discovery for me but How? Why? etc.

• Edit is certainly doing more work, but I don't know if that would be the whole story.