Iray renders seem to stop before completing?

3DScreencraft3DScreencraft Posts: 486

Hi all, when I do Iray renders, they always feel like I am seeing the end result through a pale veil of tiny dots. DS says they are complete, but they really can't be. What am I doing wrong, please? The image attached is done with a one-click lighting effect, I don't remember which now, but it happens no matter what lighting I use. Thanks for any advice on fixing this! :)

Akila1.png
1200 x 900 - 2M
Post edited by 3DScreencraft on

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,889

DS isn't telling you the render is complete; it's just reaching the conditions for stopping the render, which could be a certain amount of time, a certain percentage of convergence, or certain number of samples. The settings in the Progressive Rendering section of the Render Settings pane determine when your renders end, so you can turn up max samples, max time and converged ratio, and your renders will run longer. The trick to this, though, is that an Iray render could potentially run forever and never be "done". You just have to decide when the render is sufficiently complete for your liking, and you might discover the sweet spot through experimentation.

• Gordig said:

DS isn't telling you the render is complete; it's just reaching the conditions for stopping the render, which could be a certain amount of time, a certain percentage of convergence, or certain number of samples. The settings in the Progressive Rendering section of the Render Settings pane determine when your renders end, so you can turn up max samples, max time and converged ratio, and your renders will run longer. The trick to this, though, is that an Iray render could potentially run forever and never be "done". You just have to decide when the render is sufficiently complete for your liking, and you might discover the sweet spot through experimentation.

Ahhh! Okay, thanks so much, that makes sense. I really need to find the time to do some tutorials, lol! Much appreciated. Running off to try a new render with new settings. :)

• Minor addition to gordig's post.

Turning the values "up", just increases the point at which a render stops.

To go 'Infinite' you go down.

Specifically setting Render quality to Off, Max Samples to -1 and Max time(sec) to 0 or -1.

You'll need to turn Limits off, via the gear icon popout, to set max samples and time to -1.

I specify 0 or -1 on time, as I've never had to set time to -1 to get infinite time, but others have reported they did, so try both.

One thing to be aware of with these settings is that the progress bar will not move from 0%, as that is just an indication of how close it's getting to a stop state.

And since there are no stop states, it doesn't have anything to report.

Lastly, certain scene setups(render settings, lights, assets in scene), will create 'grain' in the render and no amount of samples, or time, will clear them.

This is, imho,  what's going on with Op's example render.

There's nothing 'wrong' with it, as the "haze" is supposed to be there.

That "haze" is what's referred to as "God rays", where light is being reflected and refracted off/through particulates(dust) in the air.

Extending the render time/samples, may, refine it a bit, but it's not going to disappear and in some cases can get worse.

Depending on how the 'haze' is being achieved, it may be as simple as removing the geometry being used to simulate it, changing the opacity setting, or re-scaling and/or moving it, to produce the "look" OP may be looking for.