Applying Black Fingers to G8M

Gemini QueenGemini Queen Posts: 263

I'm currently using the Zophael G8M model and I'm trying to apply the black hands material from the Hand Salon - Fake Nails and Jewelry product. 

https://www.daz3d.com/hand-salon--fake-nails-and-jewelry

I do understand that this was made with G8F in mind, but normally, when there's a material that's meant for females, I ca still apply it to the males. However, this is the result that I get when I attempt to apply it to him (I tried to copy and paste the image right here into the body, but for some reason the forum system won't allow me to do, about to make a post about that next since I've seen other people do it. 

To be fair, I do have another figure that has something similar to the black fingers that's actually meant for the male characters, it's just not as nice as this one (the other one is to the elbow, and I just wanted the finger tips).

I won't sit here and pretend like I know a whole lot about the anatomy of a product, BUT - At first, I thought that it might be because of the geometry that was originally meant for a female was now being applied on a male, but they're hands. Going into Wire Frame mode, the hands look like they have the same amount of ploygons (the little square bits that make up the geometry/shape of the object) but like I said, I have idea what I'm talking about when it comes to that kind of stuff. So I'm bringing it here where professionals who know what they're doing can look at it and point me in the right direction. 

Thanks in advanced! 

Edit - I lied, the other materials that do the same thing don't work on thie figure cause their base figures have a different skin tone, so poo. This is my only one. 

current issue.png
476 x 729 - 273K
Post edited by Gemini Queen on

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Did you try changing the UV Set for the arms, in the Surfaces tab?

• Gemini QueenGemini Queen Posts: 263
    edited November 2021

I have not tried that and if I'm being honest, I don't even know what that means, but I'm opening up the program right now to see if I can change that. I'll google what that means as well. 

Edit - So I found the UV set for the arms in the surfaces tab, now I think it's a matter of changing it to something else. 

Edit - I found out where I could load a new UV set onto the figure, but - I'm only able to change it to obj files. The hand salon doesn't have any obj files in there, so I don't think that I can change it there. 

current issue 2.png
    538 x 709 - 27K
    Post edited by Gemini Queen on
  • margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

A UV is a coordinate that maps a polygon vertex to a texture. It defines how the texture is applied to the facets of your figure.

I have the option to change the UVs over to Base Female, but I'm not sure if that came default or if I got an addon or something. I know there's products in the store that let you cross-fit between male and female.

• Well shucks, I guess I'll tuck this into the  "don't really need it but would love to have it" box till I find a material that can kind of mimic what I was trying to do. Thanks for trying though! 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Gemini Queen said:

I have not tried that and if I'm being honest, I don't even know what that means, but I'm opening up the program right now to see if I can change that. I'll google what that means as well. 

Edit - So I found the UV set for the arms in the surfaces tab, now I think it's a matter of changing it to something else. 

Edit - I found out where I could load a new UV set onto the figure, but - I'm only able to change it to obj files. The hand salon doesn't have any obj files in there, so I don't think that I can change it

there.

If it's gonna work you change it to "Base Male" for both the Arms & Fingernails however, it's shouldn't work. You need the Genesis 8 UV Swap product from a PA named SloshWerks. I think the full normal price for the product is about $16. 

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,252
    edited November 2021

UV Swap seems to go on sale, or packaged in various bundles often enough ...

The Product page mentions the existance of a .psd file. So between that and taking the .pngs into your image editor you might be able to rearrange the painted areas to match with the areas of G8M. [templates are in the Product Library] Or at least close enough that it's usable. Remember to have the colours extend over the seams a little.

To get the images showing in the posts, AFTER you have attached them to the post, open them in another window and copy the url. Then edit the post and using the little picture box icon, paste the url into that. Click in the big box to make it appear in that box, then the sizes show up to the left of it, put the largest size showing to be 800 or less. {not an issue for these images} Accept. Save post. The little thumbnails must be left attached as well.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • Catherine3678ab - That sounds super techincal, but I will take a look into it and see if that works. But it would also be great if there was a product like this for the G8M. T-T

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,379
    edited November 2021

I though about what you are trying to do (which sounds simple and neat) but I don't have the fake nails product.  This is what I tried instead as an example

1. I downloaded G8M's template from the Product Library (Daz3d.com > Account > My Account > Product Library > filter for Genesis 8 Essentials and download G8M template).
    2. I opened the arm template in my image editor (in my case, Pixelmator Pro but Photoshop, Gimp, Affinity Photo should work).
    3. I created an empty layer above the template, made a selection of the arm and fingers, painted in the arm and fingers (I used a tree branch pattern in this case) in black.
    4. I created a layer below the painted layer and filled it with white.  We now have three layers: painted fingers, white background, and at the bottom, template.
    5. I flattened the layers, saved as jpeg, inverted the colors to white painted fingers and blacj background and saved that inverted one as a jpeg to use as a mask.
    6. I now have a version of painted fingers and its inverse mask
    7. I loaded a G8M, dressed and lit him.  Next I selected him and made a geoshell. G8M now looks incased in white icing.
    8. I selected the geoshell, and in the Parameter Tab, turned off the visibility of everything but his arms. G8M looks normal but with white arms.
    9. I selected the geoshell arms in the Surface Tab, applied the default iray shader.  I next loaded the inked finger jpeg in the base color and set the color to black, loaded the mask jpeg into the cutoff opacity and set that to 1.
    10. I rendered.

The result is seen here and i attached the two jpegs:

You can paint whatever you want from gloppy liquids to electricity to plugging the jpeg into bump to make raised scars and save the geoshell to apply to any character.

geoshell.jpg
    1553 x 1261 - 715K
    stain.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 1M
    stainmask.jpg
    4096 x 4096 - 1M
    Post edited by nemesis10 on
  • nemesis10 - That sounds dope as all get out, and I appreciate you going through that stpe by step cause I surely would have messed that up trying to do it myself, lol. That is a really cool effect and I can't wait to try it out! 

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,379

Let me know if I can help.... I could make the texture and mask if you like and an illustrated guide to what to plug into what channel if you need it.  Geoshell are quite marvelous because we can even add normals, bunps, emmissives etc...