Finding the locations of individual figures or props within a scene

edited February 2015 in Product Suggestions

Given the fact that most asset publishers have there own way of establishing their directories within DAZ (usually under their name first then the asset) it can be a daunting task when you open a file and can't remember the location of every item within a scene.

Could someone come up with a way to open a scene, right click on a figure or object within the scene window, and open a dialogue box with the paths to the directories of that object. It must be possible as the DAZ database must have access to this information.

The dialogue box that opens when you hover over an object in the content library pane is exactly what is needed. Just duplicate it so that when I right click on an object within the scene window it opens to show me the paths for that object so I know where to update its properties, like a change to the publisher's figure if it is part of a group of figure types, or change a material or pose.

Sometimes I can spend more time looking for for the locations of objects than working on them. To use the search engine is not simple or quick enough if you have a large database. Currently the only quick way for me is to look at a surface name to give me a clue as to where the objects directory might be found.

I spent weeks once trying to catalogue my database, so I could have everything sorted in a logical way (for me), clothing by category and figure base, Props by type etc, only to have the whole lot wiped the next time I upgraded Daz.

I Hoe someone can come up with a solution.

Post edited by tonyjas46_1cccd9144e on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

I don't know whether that would be feasible -- the scene file has links to the data and texture files used, and for imported Poser content to the original Poser geometries and morph data, but that wouldn't get you back to the library files.

On the last point, Export User Data is a robust way of backing up your categories -- I've been categorizing everything the way that makes sense to me since DS 2.