Gotten burned too many times...

I was a long time Poser user, and got used to Poser prompting to save the render when I close the render window. As a result, I've lost a LOT of renders in DS because I simply forget, getting too intent on making changes to the current scene to makew the next render. Then I render, and realize I didn't save the last one.

I don't find the save option at the bottom of the render window helpful at all, because I do sequential renders, and don't necessarily remember the last filename I used, in order to save the current one. Not to mention having to setup folders all the time.

I just wish it would ask to save when I close the render window. PLEASE!!!

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

Not sure I follow. Why not just save the render before you close the window?? We must have very different workflows

• AprilYSHAprilYSH Posts: 1,489

render to file instead of to new window, anecdotally faster too

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

File -> Save Last Render.

• Yep, that one works, and at the same time you can change the file format too if you need.

Regards,

Richard

• Even if you've done several renders after the one you forgot to save, there's still a way. Until you quit Studio, all your renders from the session are stored in a temp folder. Just copy the one you want out of the folder. (This can also sometimes help in the event of a crash.)

On Mac, it's ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/RenderAlbumTmp. I don't know exactly where it is on Windows.

• FSMCDesigns said:

Not sure I follow. Why not just save the render before you close the window?? We must have very different workflows

I explained above, used to Poser. I also mentioned that the save options at the bottom of the window aren't helpful to me.

• AprilYSH said:

render to file instead of to new window, anecdotally faster too

Because I like to check on the render progress, and might abort the render to make changes.

• margrave said:

File -> Save Last Render.

Yes, I know. That works until you start another render.

• murgatroyd314 said:

Even if you've done several renders after the one you forgot to save, there's still a way. Until you quit Studio, all your renders from the session are stored in a temp folder. Just copy the one you want out of the folder. (This can also sometimes help in the event of a crash.)

On Mac, it's ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/RenderAlbumTmp. I don't know exactly where it is on Windows.

Didn't know about that. That's helpful.

But, why not just an option to prompt to save on closing the render window?

• murgatroyd314 said:

Even if you've done several renders after the one you forgot to save, there's still a way. Until you quit Studio, all your renders from the session are stored in a temp folder. Just copy the one you want out of the folder. (This can also sometimes help in the event of a crash.)

Through more bad experiences, I've found that the renders saved in that temp folder are seemingly random, and not saving every render. Some are still in there from a week ago, even though I've opened and closed DS a few times since then.