Help so I don't make the same mistake again - moving DAZ content files

Many moons ago I copied all my DAZ 3 content to a new HDD and updated DAZ's preferences to the new location. But it broke DAZ anyways.

After the move any pre-existing scene I loaded errored on every object. The shirt counldn't be found, the chair couldn't found, etc, etc.The fix I eventually learned was to make a new "temp" scene using all the objects that my old scene used, save it. Then load my original scene and viola everything was good. At least for that scene. I then had to do the same for every scene I ever made!

I still don't know what step I missed back then. My first thought is hidden pointers maybe? But I have to move my DAZ 4 content to a new HDD now and don't want to run into this same problem.

What is the answer to properly move all the DAZ content so that my pre-existing scenes can be loaded with all their DAZ content intact when the drive is different from the drive that content was on when the scene was originally created?

Comments

• It wasn't finding the old .dso files and associates for the items - they would have been in the data folder in one of the content directroies you were using, so if you copied everything across correctly and pointed DS to the right place (and hadn't had one content directory inside another on the old system) it should have worked. It is impossible to figure out what went wrong, though since the resave the original content trick worked I doubt it was nested directories.

• Zeke42Zeke42 Posts: 57

Thanks Richard.

I started the process of pointing DAZ to where the content directories are now located. When I got to the option for "Daz Content Date" and I gave it the new location I got this pop up that I don't understand. I'd sure be grateful for a English translation. blush

daz error.JPG
    525 x 142 - 24K
  • That is the location used for content installed through Daz Studio itself - it may well be empty, if you have not used that feature. Since there can be only one Connect data directory, when you change its location you are asked if you want to make the old folder a regular content directory, so that any content that remains there will still be usable.