Materials/textures wont export in .obj and pose wont export in .dae

I'm having some export issues I need some help with. When I export my figure in .obj format none of the textures or materials export with it. When I open the model in a 3rd party app the model is all one base white texture.

On the other hand when I export my figure model out in dae or fbx format, the textures export and import fine in 3rd party software but the pose is lost and reverts back to the Dazstudio default "crusfix" pose.  

So, I need to know how to either get the textures to stick in the .obj format or the pose to stick in the .dea format when exporting out of daz and into other software.

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

The obj export window will let you save out materials. Expand it to show all options, then make sure "Write UV Coordinates", "Write Surfaces", and "Write Material Library" are ticked, with "Collect Maps" chosen from the dropdown. You might need to adjust the "Collapse UV Tiles" option too--by default, Genesis figure UVs go outside the 0.0-1.0 range, UDIM style. The application you're exporting to needs to support UV coordinate wrapping or it won't work right.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Daz only exports the base maps, no matter what format, so you won't get Normals, Spec, etc. What I do after export is to look in the new Maps folder created, look at the various files, then select & search for one file under the ...\Applications\Data\DAZ 3D\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime folder to find the correct folder with the rest of the maps.  You'll need to do that for each clothing item & props.

It may appear as all white, but you'll most likely have to change blending modes, etc.

FBX items will use a UV named Model_UV whereas Obj's will be uvmap_uv. At base rez, the geometry though is the same & you can use that to your advantage. I only use FBX if it's a character as you get weight maps & morphs.  Anything mechanical or a structure, I use OBJ. You don't get morphs or weight maps, but you do get a much easier structure to work with.

• Thanks Margrave!! Was getting discouraged as I matched your export critera with mine and everything was matching up until the "collect maps". That was the secret sauce that was missing! I didn't have that selected and that was all she needed!

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 275

Hello

I asked, a long time ago, help about copying all textures in a dedicated folder without going in all the textures folders separatly. Andya made a script for that. I use it all the time thanks to him/her. 

Check this topic:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/386421/help-solution-for-collecting-all-maps-from-a-ds4-scene

• Thanks smaker1... I think. Dazstudio is already the worlds most user unfriendly software, I'm not sure how ready I am to add scripting to the chaos. LOL