how can I stop DS smoothing my object? [solved]

ig_4167336ig_4167336 Posts: 18

Hi,

I've made a quick plinth in Blender. It's just how I want it in Blender but, import it into DS and suddenly it's all smoothed. I've made sure that 'shade flat' is applied rather 'shade smooth'. You can see the default cube is sharp so what am I missing? Why is the plinth smoothed. By the way, it's nothing to do with the materials I added it was smoothed before. 

plinth smoothed why

Thanks

smoothed why.png
667 x 1000 - 388K
Post edited by ig_4167336 on

Comments

• 3WC3WC Posts: 1,102

Every program smooths thing a little differently. You might have to add some "fencing" to the model. There are other terms for it, too, but basically in blender turn on a subsurf modifier and then add loops or bevels to the edges you want to be sharp and move them around until you get what you want.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Go to the plinth's surfaces tab and scroll to the bottom. Untick the box marked "Smooth".

• ig_4167336ig_4167336 Posts: 18
    edited October 2021

margrave said:

Go to the plinth's surfaces tab and scroll to the bottom. Untick the box marked "Smooth".

Thanks for the tip but it made no difference unfortunately. I must have been something really stupid because this did the trick when I reimported a fresh mesh. Thanks.

• 3WC said:

Every program smooths thing a little differently. You might have to add some "fencing" to the model. There are other terms for it, too, but basically in blender turn on a subsurf modifier and then add loops or bevels to the edges you want to be sharp and move them around until you get what you want.

I thought about going back into blender and adding extra geometry but that flies in the face of common sense (and the thought of adding two extra lines to ever corner fills me with dread) since even the default cube from Blender shades flat in DS. I did a test with the Blender cube and there was no difference to the DS cube.  

• by the way, the best option I've found so far is to add subd turn the res up to 5 and set the algorithm to Bilinear but, even this rounds the corners a bit. 

• Did you turn smoothing off on all surfaces on the plinth? It's on by default, so the fact that it showed up before editing other settings is not indicative of anything.

• ig_4167336ig_4167336 Posts: 18
    edited October 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Did you turn smoothing off on all surfaces on the plinth? It's on by default, so the fact that it showed up before editing other settings is not indicative of anything.

wow, I just imported it again fresh (didn't add materials) and yes. That did it. Thanks.