"Invalid hierarchy for selected node"?

odasteinodastein Posts: 606

Hello,

I can't apply any material to an item of clothing. The log reads :

"Invalid hierarchy for selected node(s) and "preset_hierarchical_material" type; no root(s) found."

Could someone explain what this means and how I could fix this issue? Thanks in advance. 

The item is the "Dforce asymetric button dress" : https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-asymmetric-button-dress-2-for-genesis-8-females

Post edited by odastein on

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

When applying such preset, you must select the figure where the item is parented to, and that figure must match the one the item is meant to be parented to.

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606
    edited October 2021

PerttiA said:

When applying such preset, you must select the figure where the item is parented to, and that figure must match the one the item is meant to be parented to.

Thank you very much, it solved my issue. How do I recognize items that require this? 

Besides, the dress wasn't parented to anything, so besides knowing what you just told me, which isn't intuitive, I also had to parent the dress to the character first.  I think that this should be corrected in this asset. Or at the very least, the procedure should be mentioned in the read me. 

Post edited by odastein on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

odastein said:

PerttiA said:

Thank you very much, it solved my issue. How do I recognize items that require this? 

Besides, the dress wasn't parented to anything, so besides knowing what you just told me, which isn't intuitive, I also had to parent the dress to the character first.  I think that this should be corrected in this asset. Or at the very least, the procedure should be mentioned in the read me. 

If you use the Content Library->DAZ Studio Formats to navigate and load your assets, with the hierarchial presets, you will often see a notice that you need to select the figure onto which the item is parented and not the item when applying the preset, it also means that the item must be parented to a correct figure for the preset to apply.

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606

PerttiA said:

odastein said:

PerttiA said:

If you use the Content Library->DAZ Studio Formats to navigate and load your assets, with the hierarchial presets, you will often see a notice that you need to select the figure onto which the item is parented and not the item when applying the preset, it also means that the item must be parented to a correct figure for the preset to apply.

Thank you. But I see no such notice in this case, though.