Face Mojo importing Facial Animation Morphs to Unreal Engine

Hi all, I wanted to know if anyone uses FaceMojo plugin From Laylo3d, I use it for animating facial animations on a genesis 8 character and I try to send it to the Unreal Engine
but whenever I try to, the facial animation doesn't come up. Even when I try importing the FaceMojo Morphs onto the Morphs list on the Unreal Engine Bridge, it still doesn't work. 

I'm guessing that it's either the morphs for FaceMojo are not compatible or I'm doing something wrong. If anyone has tried it and works it will be great if someone can give me a few pointers.

Comments

• I have been experimenting with Face Mojo and Unreal as well. The most frustrating thing is that I HAVE been able to get it to work, but attaining those results has been thoroughly inconsistent. I've been able to get it to work both with the standard FBX export, as well as the Daz-to-Unreal Bridge. However, once I get it to work, I am unable to replicate the results. It's INFURIATING!

So, the good news is that it DOES work. The bad news is that I have been unable to make it happen WHEN I want it to.

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371

charles.conyers_5a1dbe4d8c said:

I have been experimenting with Face Mojo and Unreal as well. The most frustrating thing is that I HAVE been able to get it to work, but attaining those results has been thoroughly inconsistent. I've been able to get it to work both with the standard FBX export, as well as the Daz-to-Unreal Bridge. However, once I get it to work, I am unable to replicate the results. It's INFURIATING!

So, the good news is that it DOES work. The bad news is that I have been unable to make it happen WHEN I want it to.

Yeah, I contacted Laylo3d and he said that Daz Studio somehow broke the exporting with the faceMojo morphs and it doesn't work. I tried importing the FaceMojo morphs but they won't work. 
    It worked on Daz version 4.12 but after that they broke it. I'm now looking into Poserecorder and it does work but the results aren't as great as a thought. I'll keep playing with it to see if I can improve it but I am also looking into Face Live Link.  

• hey, 

did you ever figure out how to get it to work? I'm just starting and wanted to try to make some animations and I cannot get it to work at all. currently using daz studio 4.16.

thanks

• wintoonswintoons Posts: 371

youcefthomas said:

hey, 

did you ever figure out how to get it to work? I'm just starting and wanted to try to make some animations and I cannot get it to work at all. currently using daz studio 4.16.

thanks

Hey

Well, I've found out how to do it, if you want to use face morph capturing, there's a software add on called Facemotion from facemotion3d.com . It actually works with the Unreal if you import it through the bridge from daz studio.
    What you will have to remember is this, if you are face capturing, you'll need to add the FaceMotion morphs onto the morphs menu on the Unreal Bridge. So that you'll see the character talking. 

I'm looking into the FMX Facemation Fbx converter for Blender. Might become useful. Also, they are planning on making one for the Unreal Engine. I hope that comes soon. 

• wintoons said:

youcefthomas said:

hey, 

thanks

Hey

Well, I've found out how to do it, if you want to use face morph capturing, there's a software add on called Facemotion from facemotion3d.com . It actually works with the Unreal if you import it through the bridge from daz studio.
    What you will have to remember is this, if you are face capturing, you'll need to add the FaceMotion morphs onto the morphs menu on the Unreal Bridge. So that you'll see the character talking. 

I'm looking into the FMX Facemation Fbx converter for Blender. Might become useful. Also, they are planning on making one for the Unreal Engine. I hope that comes soon. 

When you used the daz to unreal bridge did you choose animation or skeletal mesh? Because I exported a character with skeletal mesh and facemotion morphs with no facial animations to Unreal Engine 5. Then I tried sending the facial animation using facemotion3D using the bridge. Instead of skeletal mesh I chose animation. Unfortunately when I the put in the imported animation to my character in UE5, he still wouldn't talk. Would you mind telling me more on how did you do this? I'm really having alot of difficulties with this.  

• boatangelkeithboatangelkeith Posts: 1
    edited July 2023

It worked on Daz version 4.12 but after that they broke it. I'm now looking into Poserecorder and it does work but the results aren't as great as a thought. I'll keep playing with it to see if I can improve it but I am also looking into Face Live Link. 

It works in the newsest version of daz3d.

I'm not sure how it worked back when it was 4.12 but there is a way to get it working in the newest version of daz3d.

There is probably a better way to do it than the way that I am but here it is:

Run the FBX mojo bake as normal but do not delete the facial mocap fbx(shows up as grp_scale for me inside the scene) file that you imported into daz3d.

Instead after running the bake, make the g8 figure a parent of the grp_scale then you can export to unreal using the bridge rather than saving as a fbx file. I'm not sure but I do think it's important to include the animation when exporting to unreal. Also when you send all of the morph targets(I sent all face mojo targets(wrinkles and strength didn't export but I still include them but I'm not sure it's neccassary to include them) on the last window before you accept the export you need to go and change the morph target rules and change all the FaceMojo morphs from export to bake and then it should work.

if it says animation failed to import due to the animation time not lining up with the framing, try decreasing the total timeline range by 1 frame that usually works for me but I just now started getting it to work so I haven't played with it too much.

I have been having an issue with the G8 female mojo animations in Unreal where it will ballon the character but once the morphs are in Unreal you can retarget animations to her from the male figure.

good luck.

Post edited by boatangelkeith on