Managing 1800 .hdr files?

RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

I have over 1800 .hdr image files...

How do you manage these files?

I installed a Windows thumbnail viewer "Sage".

But it is slow and does not view 10K-16K files.

Photoshop will view them but viewing them one by one is slow also

and most of them do not show up in my DAZ content list that I can see in a concise and organized manner.

Any suggestions, tips and tricks?

Post edited by RexRed on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,197

Create a small jpeg with the same name.

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,283

felis said:

Hmm, I have heard people talking about that but it never really clicked,

I'll do that, thanks for the help on this Felis!   

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

RexRed said:

felis said:

That's exactly what Daz Studio does. The product thumbnails in Smart Content are just little 91x91 jpgs stored with the scene files.

edited October 2021

margrave said:

RexRed said:

felis said:

That's exactly what Daz Studio does. The product thumbnails in Smart Content are just little 91x91 jpgs stored with the scene files.

This is not exactly what Daz does, the files in Daz Content are scattered everywhere. 

I went to my Daz Content folder in Windows explorer and did a search for *.hdr*

and over 7000 files were found.

I "copied" them into another folder and then converted them into .jpg so I had a second copy of each .hdr file as a .jpg

Then I put the .jpg into their own folder by searching *.jpg

Now all thumbnails are revealed as .jpg in Windows explorer and my Nvidia 3090 graphics card makes short work of them.

If I go to render-settings in Daz I do not get "all" of my .hdr files and I also am not given details like how big they are only a small portion of them say if they are 4k, 8k etc...

In Windows explorer I can easily see what size they are and I get to see "all" of my .hdr files.

.jpg files are a good workaround for the really large .hdr files not showing.

This works great for me. Now I can see even files I did not know I had and I can easily choose the largest version if that is what a piece calls for. 

Then I can open them in the Daz environment and see how they work.

This is a perfect solution.

Also, the thumnbnails in Windows explorer are larger in the preview pane on the right, this is also helpful.

Post edited by RexRed on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,357
    edited October 2021

Are you just using the jpgs as reference or are you trying to use them as lights? They lack the colour detail to work as replacements for the HDR files if you are doing the latter.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited October 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Are you just using the jpgs as reference or are you trying to use them as lights? They lack the colour detail to work as replacements for the HDR files if you are doing the latter.

Just as reference, jpgs do not have emission maps, luminosity and a lot of other attributes that hdris have.  

Post edited by RexRed on