Gf8.1 head on a Gf8 body

Is it possible to transfer the morph shape of a Gf8.1 character to a Gf8 figure? My understanding was that the mesh of 8.1 is the same as 8, so surely the head shape should transfer from 8.1 to 8.

As an example, I want to transfer the new Satomi figure head shape (not the HD version) to a Gf8 figure I have been working on. Is that possible?

Comments

• No the mesh is not exactly the same. Genesis 8 has geograft eyelashes. Genesis 8.1 has geograft eyelashes AND tears. They did some code work to enable 8.1 to "read" the morphs for G8 so it's backwards compatible.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

I just tried it out with White Priestess 8.1. The morph works fine, since both meshes have 16,556 vertices and are identical as far as I could see. The materials didn't work, so you'll need to use different ones or rebuild them from scratch. Some attachments worked without a problem, others needed to be autofitted and thus may not work perfectly.

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,521
    edited October 2021

Catherine3678ab said:

No the mesh is not exactly the same. Genesis 8 has geograft eyelashes. Genesis 8.1 has geograft eyelashes AND tears. They did some code work to enable 8.1 to "read" the morphs for G8 so it's backwards compatible.

These attachments are not actually part of the main mesh, so have no impact on its vertex count or order, which is why G8.1 still accepts G8.0 morphs. (The underlying code work in DS 4.15 is not to do with correcting for the vertex count, it's changing things so that G8.1 looks in both the G8.1 and G8.0 data folders for morphs)

margrave said:

Some attachments worked without a problem, others needed to be autofitted and thus may not work perfectly.

Auto-fit is not usually necessary. It is usually possible to override the scene ID of most G8.1 followers so that they believe they are G8.0 compatible.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • Matt_Castle said:

Catherine3678ab said:

No the mesh is not exactly the same. Genesis 8 has geograft eyelashes. Genesis 8.1 has geograft eyelashes AND tears. They did some code work to enable 8.1 to "read" the morphs for G8 so it's backwards compatible.

These attachments are not actually part of the main mesh, so have no impact on its vertex count or order, which is why G8.1 still accepts G8.0 morphs. (The underlying code work in DS 4.15 is not to do with correcting for the vertex count, it's changing things so that G8.1 looks in both the G8.1 and G8.0 data folders for morphs)

margrave said:

Some attachments worked without a problem, others needed to be autofitted and thus may not work perfectly.

Auto-fit is not usually necessary. It is usually possible to override the scene ID of most G8.1 followers so that they believe they are G8.0 compatible.

In that case, then one should be able to export out the 8.1 morphed figure and bring it back to morph the 8 figure. The new morph will need a new name of course. And then 8.1 is going to be having duplicate morphs available for it with different names. Not a project I'm going to recommend.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

IsaacNewton said:

Is it possible to transfer the morph shape of a Gf8.1 character to a Gf8 figure? My understanding was that the mesh of 8.1 is the same as 8, so surely the head shape should transfer from 8.1 to 8.

As an example, I want to transfer the new Satomi figure head shape (not the HD version) to a Gf8 figure I have been working on. Is that possible?

Why not use Satomi on the G8.1? there is nothing to lose.

If I were to do such a thing, I would take the head morphs for G8.1, edit the files (references inside the file) for G8 and move them to the G8 morph folders.