Lincoln Character and Hair for Genesis 8 Males by 3D Universe (Resolved)

stephenschoonstephenschoon Posts: 357

Lincoln Character and Hair for Genesis 8 Males by 3D Universe

Anybody else finding Lincoln causes Daz Studio to crash when you start a render (Iray) ?

Nothing of any use in the Log, the last thing it says is
'2021-10-05 17:02:52.337 Iray [INFO] - IMAGE:IO ::   1.0   IMAGE  io   info : Loading image "D:\DazStudio\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Textures\3DUniverse\Genesis8Male\Lincoln\Figure\3duG8MLincoln_SP_Face_1001.jpg", pixel type "Rgb", 4096x4096x1 pixels, 1 miplevel.'

This is just the character, no hair etc.. Restarted machine etc. Re-downloaded character and re-installed.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080Ti - Studio Driver - 462.65 

Thanks
Steve.

Post edited by stephenschoon on

Comments

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,870
    edited October 2021

One possible issue: According to his file list, Lincoln (and his sister, I would think) uses .TIF normal maps. For some reason, the version of Iray in the most recent version of Studio can't handle certain types of TIF files. (The issue has, so I understand, been reported to Daz and by Daz to nVidia.) What I've seen recomended is to resave the TIFs as PNGs, and then manually place the PNGs into normal map slot in the surfaces tab to replace the TIFs.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • Logged in to post the same issue (as I'm having the same problem). Whenever I go to render, it crashes Daz, the latest driver for RTX 2070 installed running on an AMD 3900x.

Tried it out on a fresh install of Daz on my Wacom Cintiq Pro, (Xeon and Quadro) & it did the same thing. Bought the bundle, no issue with the London model. 

thanks,

JM

• Thanks, will look at textures, also found no issue with London model.
    Steve.

• Based on the texture issue, I just tried rendering using 3d Delight, no problem, switched back to Iray, no problem? Did something update while I was away? I literally haven't done anything different bar closing Daz and restarting it just there. Heck, either way, I'm happy. :)

• solissolis Posts: 124

I too had the same crash when trying to render the default figure. However, I tried the following and now I don't get a crash anymore:

1. Load default figure. Don't render.

2. Change to a different age (11,13,18) using the included presets and test render. These all rendered fine.

3. Change age back to default (9) and render. This rendered fine.

Eveything was 100% stable after this. I have successfully closed/opened DAZ and loaded the default character with no further crashes. Have no idea why.

On a more positive note...Thank you 3DU for Lincoln https://www.daz3d.com/lincoln-character-and-hair-for-genesis-8-males and his clothing https://www.daz3d.com/lincoln-dforce-clothing-for-genesis-8-males . I really appreciate the excellent work you've put into him - an immediate favourite!

• solis said:

I too had the same crash when trying to render the default figure. However, I tried the following and now I don't get a crash anymore:

1. Load default figure. Don't render.

2. Change to a different age (11,13,18) using the included presets and test render. These all rendered fine.

3. Change age back to default (9) and render. This rendered fine.

Eveything was 100% stable after this. I have successfully closed/opened DAZ and loaded the default character with no further crashes. Have no idea why.

On a more positive note...Thank you 3DU for Lincoln https://www.daz3d.com/lincoln-character-and-hair-for-genesis-8-males and his clothing https://www.daz3d.com/lincoln-dforce-clothing-for-genesis-8-males . I really appreciate the excellent work you've put into him - an immediate favourite!

Unfortunately the above did not work for me. Shame, while I normally only buy realistic characters, I like 3DU's work and the clothes are useful for other young characters.
    Steve.

• stephenschoonstephenschoon Posts: 357
    edited October 2021

Resaving the TIF files as PNG and changing the surfaces, as suggested by vwrangler worked, however 3D Universe still needs to fix this as I doubt we will see a fix from Daz/Nvidia anytime soon.
    Steve.

Post edited by stephenschoon on
  • nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,937
    edited October 2021

Well, I'm not crashing.... but I went to load a scene-preset I'd made earlier with Lincoln in it, and it gave an error that it couldn't find certain textures, but the loaded character doesn't have any obvious missing-stuff visually once loaded into the scene.  Mind you, I didn't zoom in to inspect him closely, (Okay, on closer examination of the error text, it seems all the "missing" stuff is normal-maps, the purple stuff.)  I was trying to get him into a scene quickly and save that scene out. ("Daaaaang, would you lookit the time!")  It was only after I'd drilled down to the textures folder in my runtime, to double check that they were where they were supposed to be, that I noticed the textures in the Lincoln folder were jpg, but the loader was looking for tif.

Yeah, they definitely need to push out a fix. :D

edit: Oh, it crashes at render, not at load.  Yeah, haven't tried iray rendering him yet.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on
  • solissolis Posts: 124
    edited October 2021

3DU Update:

"Resolved Issues

2021-10-06 - TIF files converted to PNG files as they were causing Studio to crash when rendering in Iray."

After updating I loaded a previously saved Lincoln scene. It was asking for the old TIF normals. I manually swapped them out for the new PNG normals and re-saved the scene. No further problems here. Thanks 3DU yes

Post edited by solis on
    edited October 2021

Well, I had made a scene-preset of each age-version of him...  ages 9, 11, 13, and 18... so will have to overwrite all of those with corrected versions.  How many distinct surfaces of him do I need to wade through the parts of to rejigger this?  I hope this doesn't get overly tedious when I sit down to fix this.

I hope there's not a similar whoopsie that happened with the accompanying London character.  Ah, modern technology, gotta love it.  :D

edit: Actually, it''s probably simpler for me to just load him fresh from Characters, attach what I want onto him again (i.e. his hair) and progress through the age presets again, resaving him for each scene-preset.  Or maybe simply apply the character's iray skin preset onto my saved-and-reloaded 9yo and then do that progression?  Will twidle with this later.

• Hi all. I see I was not the only one having DS crashed by Lincoln ...

So I made a test series like this to find out

Lincoln duf w Lincolns TX = out of the box: crash when rendering, no log message ***

Lincoln duf w Kayden's TX = error (Kayden is G8.1M, incompatible; Lincoln is G8M)
    Lincoln duf w DTG Studios Cliff for G8M's TX = using just another TX than designed: crash when rendering, no log message ***

hm ...

default G8M/GU Shape w Lincolns TX - but no brows etc, only TX = render ok. Interesting ...
    default G8M/GU Shape w Lincolns TX with eye brows = render ok
    default G8M/Lincoln Shape via dials w Lincolns TX with eye brows = render ok

Then I found this, just switching ages back and forth:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/7068751/#Comment_7068751

and that worked indeed for me as well. Very strange, but ok.

Continuing the test case:

saving a scene subset with Lincoln fully dressed w hair. Close DS. Start DS ... loading Lincoln fully dressed w hair from saved subset: render = success

delete Lincoln from scene. Load Lincoln default (that used to crash 1st time): render = success

So it seems after this little tweak with age presets, there are no more issues even when DS is restarted and the figure loaded again.

• After 3DU update loading the Lincoln character no longer causes IRAY to crash.

Best Wishes
    Steve.

edited October 2021

Yep, everything's sorted out for me, too.  Fortunately I'd not gotten to the stage yet of trying to render him before this problem was discovered.