New Posing Problem

When posing a character who's already been positioned in a scene some pose sets leave the character where s/he's already located, while other sets automatically reposition the character at the default loading point. In order to prevent the character from relocating to that default point on loading a pose one holds down Ctrl before clicking on the pose. A window (Pose Preset Load Options) then comes up with the various positioning limits so that one can have the character not relocate on posing, but ever since I installed the latest version of DS I can no longer stop the new pose relocating a character to the default load position. I've tried every variation of settings in the Pose Preset Load Options window (Options and Preferences), but nothing I've tried will allow the character to stay put. Can anyone tell me what the correct settings and options are - I mean every box to tick - so that holding Ctrl and then loading a new pose will keep the character located where s/he is?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,357
    edited September 2021

If they are poses from Daz and theya re affecting the figure node I would, in any event, report them as possible bugs - only placement poses should touch the figure node, others should (at most) use the hip for relative postioning.

That said, and assuming the figure is postioned using the figure node, select the hip and in the dialogue box you want the node to be Selected and propagation Recursive; if you need to leave the hip in place too then select abdomen and pelvis instead.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • One way to work around this is to put the figure in their own dedicated group (select the figure and choose Create/New Group... from the menu). Then, when you're moving the figure around the scene, don't move the figure but move the group instead (I tend to lock the figure's x/y/z transforms and rotations in case I move them by accident).

That way, the figure always remains at (0,0,0) relative to the group, so badly behaved poses don't move it.

Another benefit is that you can toggle the visibility of the figure and all their gear by making the group visible/invisible.

• Prince WaoPrince Wao Posts: 373
    edited September 2021

Thank for the replies, chaps, but that info isn't what I'm after. For probably close to 8 years when trying out alternate poses on a set character (or characters) in a set location I go to my amazing collection of Daz pose sets and just the majority of them don't move the character from the position s/he's in. But when clicking on a pose in the minority of pose sets the character changes pose but teleports back to the default starting position. So for years all I've had to do to prevent that is hold down Ctrl and select the pose, then when the Pose Preset Load Options window opens click 'Accept' and the pose works without changing the character's location. It's simple and quick, so I don't want an alternative way of doing things.

What I think happened was when I installed the latest version of Daz all of the settings in Pose Preset Load Options returned to defaults, so the settings I already had changed, but as for years I've never had to look at those settings as they always worked I've no idea what they originally were. I've tried a gazillions variations of the settings, but the only new phenomenon is that on some settings the selected character relocates to the default start position, but the pose remains unchanged. So what I want to know is the following:

In the Pose Preset Load Options window there are Options and Preferences windows, so in Preferences do I need to select "Set Preferred Options" or "Read Preferred Options"? The 3rd alternative there is "Restore Default Options", but it's the defaults that send the character back to the starting point, which I don't want.

Under Options do I need to tick "Morphforms" or leave it unchecked? There's then the option to "Obey Limits" or "Turn Off Limits", so which one do I need? I'm pretty sure it was always set on "Turn Off Limits" in the past. Next is "Transforms" which I have ticked as without it the Rotation, Translation and Scale are turned off. I'm pretty certain all I needed ticked in the past were the X, Y & Z axes in Translation, plus maybe "General" in Scale. But as I wrote above I've tried every set of variations of these settings I can think of, but whatever I do the character being posed always relocates to the default start position. It must be a simple solve, but I can't find it.

Oops! I forgot: under Options there are also "Nodes" - do I need to check "Root" or "Selected"? Plus there's "Propagation" - do I need to check "Recursive" or "Selected Only"?

Post edited by Prince Wao on
  • Set preferred options tells the system to use those when you hold shift and double click the preset. The others will vary - morphforms are the Pose Controls on the figure, or head or hand in some cases, rather than the individual bone transforms. As I said above, Nodes set to Selected the Propagation to Recursive will stop the pose from chnaging any bones (or the figure itself) higher up the hierarchy.

edited September 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

Set preferred options tells the system to use those when you hold shift and double click the preset. The others will vary - morphforms are the Pose Controls on the figure, or head or hand in some cases, rather than the individual bone transforms. As I said above, Nodes set to Selected the Propagation to Recursive will stop the pose from chnaging any bones (or the figure itself) higher up the hierarchy.

Thanks Richard. I've tried what you said along with Morphforms both off and on and with Obey Limits off and on, but every single variation I've tried still results in the characters teleporting back to their default starting postions. The only other variation to having the pose work and the character teleport is to have the pose not change and the character teleports! I'll have to put in a ticket as I'm sure there must be a glitch.

Another new anomaly that's only started since I updated to the latest DS version is with G2 characters when given new skins (Amazing Skins and/or Skin Builder) then decide that I don't like one and remove it, the skin on the next character also vanishes completely! I've also found the same occasionally happens when I remove a newly tried shader on a prop it also removes the skin from a character! I'm not lookling for a fix for that as I just have to reapply the skin.

• How is the figure being moved before it teleports - by the figure node or by the hip? And what is selected when you apply the pose?

I am not following what is happening with the material settings.

• Richard Haseltine said:

How is the figure being moved before it teleports - by the figure node or by the hip? And what is selected when you apply the pose?

The character/figure is always selected, moved and/or posed by selecting hi/r in the Scene menu. The character/figure being selected, I then click on the required pose while holding down Ctrl. I don't recall who it was instructed me what to do, but it was years and years ago and it's not in any of my prior technical questions, so I assume I must have asked on someone else's thread. It's always been simplicity itself: select character in scene menu, hold down Ctrl, select pose, the Pose Preset Load Options window pops up - I don't even need to look at what's checked as it's always worked - and I click accept and the pose changes without changing the character's location. But I must now have covered every variable in Pose Preset Load Options and the characters always teleport back to their default loading position.

Re the material settings, say I have 2 characters in a scene and I want both to have the Melting Pot setting in Skin Builder (for G2F), both load correctly but I decide I want a lighter skin for 1 character, so I undo it, but that undoing also undoes the new skin setting on the other character, even though that character isn't selected. If I use Skin Builder on a character and next try adding a shader to a prop, then undo the shader not only is that shader undone, but also the new skin is undone. Just a couple of hours ago I had 2 G2Fs in a scene, both with Skin Builder skins, then I added a G2M, gave him an Amazing Skins skin, but didn't like it so undid it, then I said to myself "What will now vanish? G2F #1's skin, G2F #2's skin, or both will lose it?" This time it was G2F #1. I've not tried it yet, but I suspect that if I change a skin, then do other unrelated things, then go to another character, add a skin and then remove it it won't remove the first character's skin. IE: I assume there's something in the program that makes it recognise both skins when done consecutively, so when one skin is removed/undone it also removes the other. It's tedious having to redo skins over and over, but I get there.

• Prince Wao said:

Richard Haseltine said:

How is the figure being moved before it teleports - by the figure node or by the hip? And what is selected when you apply the pose?

The character/figure is always selected, moved and/or posed by selecting hi/r in the Scene menu. The character/figure being selected, I then click on the required pose while holding down Ctrl. I don't recall who it was instructed me what to do, but it was years and years ago and it's not in any of my prior technical questions, so I assume I must have asked on someone else's thread. It's always been simplicity itself: select character in scene menu, hold down Ctrl, select pose, the Pose Preset Load Options window pops up - I don't even need to look at what's checked as it's always worked - and I click accept and the pose changes without changing the character's location. But I must now have covered every variable in Pose Preset Load Options and the characters always teleport back to their default loading position.

If you have the figure selected then any options in the dialogue will affect it - it's the root node, and it is the seelcted node, so both options affect it. If you move the figure around the scene with the figure node then selecting the hip and telling the pose to affect only the seelcted node and to propagate recursviely should give the desired result.

Re the material settings, say I have 2 characters in a scene and I want both to have the Melting Pot setting in Skin Builder (for G2F), both load correctly but I decide I want a lighter skin for 1 character, so I undo it, but that undoing also undoes the new skin setting on the other character, even though that character isn't selected. If I use Skin Builder on a character and next try adding a shader to a prop, then undo the shader not only is that shader undone, but also the new skin is undone. Just a couple of hours ago I had 2 G2Fs in a scene, both with Skin Builder skins, then I added a G2M, gave him an Amazing Skins skin, but didn't like it so undid it, then I said to myself "What will now vanish? G2F #1's skin, G2F #2's skin, or both will lose it?" This time it was G2F #1. I've not tried it yet, but I suspect that if I change a skin, then do other unrelated things, then go to another character, add a skin and then remove it it won't remove the first character's skin. IE: I assume there's something in the program that makes it recognise both skins when done consecutively, so when one skin is removed/undone it also removes the other. It's tedious having to redo skins over and over, but I get there.

Are you closing SkinBuilder after setting up the first set of materials, then relaunching and doing the second? (I can't recall if it is even able to chnage two figures in succession without closing.)

edited September 2021

Yes, I have to close Skin Builder.
    Unfortunately I've now got a new problem! I think I might try reinstalling the latest Daz as I'm sure the program is glitching. I just reloaded the set that I was working on and besides it opening up with new dimensions (it was previously a large size 8:5 ratio and it loaded a small size 1:1 ratio) all the lighting has gone! The sun, ambient light, point lights and linear point lights are still in the scene menu, but nothing's lit up. Though Preview Lights work. I have a related scene saved - same scene different camera angle - so I next loaded that and it loaded with the correct ratio, but at a much smaller size and again there were no lights working. Oddly, spot rendering the entire viewport the render has the lights operative. I next loaded an old scene and it's fine, all the lights are there. So something went wonky when I last closed both scenes.

Re the posing problem, I did a search of the Forums - as ever that's really time consuming! - and found 2 sets of instructions, but I still get the character/s relocating to 0 0 0 transitions regardless of what I input.

Added later: please consider this thread closed as I don't think I'm going to solve the posing and vanishing skins problems, while I'm now going to open another post about my new lighting problem.