Maximum render time exceeded?

So, I'm rendering a scene which I've rendered successfully before. About 2 hours in, with about 20% to go, and suddenly the render finishes, but it's obviously not complete.  In the log file is a message that says, "Maximum render time exceeded."  Does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks

image_2021-09-24_164410.png
1422 x 840 - 153K

Comments

• David RDavid R Posts: 273

Never mind.  I should have done some research before posting!

• For those that find this post.

Render settings(tab)>Progressive Rendering>Max Time(sec)

Adjust to 0 and it'll go until it reaches one of the other stop states, max samples or Rendering converged ratio.

If your render needs more than the 15000 itterations(samples) you'll need to turn limits off in the parameter settings(Gear icon).

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

For those that find this post.

Adjust to 0 and it'll go until it reaches one of the other stop states, max samples or Rendering converged ratio.

If your render needs more than the 15000 itterations(samples) you'll need to turn limits off in the parameter settings(Gear icon).

In my Daz installation, 0 seems to make the rendering stop immediately. I need to set it to -1, which I think is also what the official Iray docs recommend. 

• margrave said:

DrunkMonkeyProductions said:

For those that find this post.

In my Daz installation, 0 seems to make the rendering stop immediately. I need to set it to -1, which I think is also what the official Iray docs recommend. 

That's a bit odd.

I've been running it at 0 for several years(pretty much as soon as i figured it out in the first incarnation) and never had a problem with it immediately stopping.

I've had renders that take days to complete and it didn't stop until it hit max samples or convergence.

Couldn't find anything specific for the time function, but other things such as max path length and max samples do recommend the -1 for 'infinite'.

Could just be the usual, "what works for one person, doesn't work for another" in ds.

I'll make a note for any future posts i make regarding it as a warning for some users.

Thanks.