RTX 3060 powered PC crashing with 1GB scene

Okay so the title pretty much sums it up I've got a new PC with a RTX 3060 and for some reason the scene I'm trying to render completely freezes my computer, I've left it for over an hour because I thought it might have needed a few minutes but I noticed it wasn't just DS that was frozen but my whole system I'm not exactly tech savy at least not anymore and am very new to DS but even I know that my GPU should be able to handle a scene that is at most 900MB and considering I have cheked how much VRAM my system has to work with and it's almost 20GB I'm at a lose.

At first I thought I had too many G8 models in the scene so I removed a few but it still crashed, then I removed the HDRI sky and urban sprawl from the scene as it was set inside and frosted the windows and just decided to make the scene darker, the scene then rendered fine but later I had the same problem after adding another model after some searching I found that changing her outfit mesh resolution from high resolution to base and lowering the view subD level to zero the render then worked fine adding back the urban sprawl and HDRI sky also didn't affect the render but adding in two spot lights when rendering from a diffrent angle caused the PC to freeze and that was without the aforementioned model, so I decided leave the spot lights out and everything went fine until I set up a diffrent angle yet again and without adding any other assets my PC chashed.

I've got the latest drivers, 16GB of RAM, 12GB GPU set to render from the GPU and I've lowered the image from Ultra HD to Quad HD and still got a frozen computer out of it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

First of all, you don't have 20GB's of VRAM, even if Windows may say you have, your card has 12GB's and part of it is already used by the OS, DS and the baseload of the scene, your available VRAM for IRAY rendering is about 10GB's.

Your 16GB's of RAM will be the limiting factor, as just one lightweight G8 figure (at SubD2) with lightweight hair and clothing requires 2.95GB's of VRAM and 11GB's of RAM to render.
    A scene with four similar G8 figures and architecture already takes 6.3GB's of VRAM and 32GB's of RAM to render in IRAY - So, you are running out of RAM and probably out of virtual memory as well.

To use a 12GB GPU to it's potential, you would need upwards of 64GB's of RAM

• Where is the scene under 1GB? You need to remember that working memory (which is using lower resolution textur images and a lower SubD level, but has to handle the base shapes and all the modifiers applied to it - posing proerpties, morphs, dForce, and dForms) and the render memory (which has to handle full-resolution geoemtry, but doesn't need anything but the final geometry) may be very different. Also, the system has to generate the render data from the working data. I suspect that either your 16GB is not enough to handle creating the render data in the first place, after all it has only about 4GB for everything else on a scene that uses the maximum amount of the video memory.

• PerttiA said:

First of all, you don't have 20GB's of VRAM, even if Windows may say you have, your card has 12GB's and part of it is already used by the OS, DS and the baseload of the scene, your available VRAM for IRAY rendering is about 10GB's.

Your 16GB's of RAM will be the limiting factor, as just one lightweight G8 figure (at SubD2) with lightweight hair and clothing requires 2.95GB's of VRAM and 11GB's of RAM to render.
    A scene with four similar G8 figures and architecture already takes 6.3GB's of VRAM and 32GB's of RAM to render in IRAY - So, you are running out of RAM and probably out of virtual memory as well.

So upgrading to at least 64GB of RAM will solve this for me? I was planning on doing that anyway just not so soon.

• Richard Haseltine said:

Where is the scene under 1GB? You need to remember that working memory (which is using lower resolution textur images and a lower SubD level, but has to handle the base shapes and all the modifiers applied to it - posing proerpties, morphs, dForce, and dForms) and the render memory (which has to handle full-resolution geoemtry, but doesn't need anything but the final geometry) may be very different. Also, the system has to generate the render data from the working data. I suspect that either your 16GB is not enough to handle creating the render data in the first place, after all it has only about 4GB for everything else on a scene that uses the maximum amount of the video memory.

So upgrading my RAM to say 64GB will solve this?

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

DannyH563 said:

PerttiA said:

So upgrading to at least 64GB of RAM will solve this for me? I was planning on doing that anyway just not so soon.

'Solving' depends on how heavy your scene actually is, but 64GB's of RAM would allow you to use the potential of your 12GB GPU = You would be able to render pretty heavy scenes.

• PerttiA said:

DannyH563 said:

PerttiA said:

'Solving' depends on how heavy your scene actually is, but 64GB's of RAM would allow you to use the potential of your 12GB GPU = You would be able to render pretty heavy scenes.

Great thanks for the help.

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 561
    edited September 2021

DannyH563 said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Where is the scene under 1GB? You need to remember that working memory (which is using lower resolution textur images and a lower SubD level, but has to handle the base shapes and all the modifiers applied to it - posing proerpties, morphs, dForce, and dForms) and the render memory (which has to handle full-resolution geoemtry, but doesn't need anything but the final geometry) may be very different. Also, the system has to generate the render data from the working data. I suspect that either your 16GB is not enough to handle creating the render data in the first place, after all it has only about 4GB for everything else on a scene that uses the maximum amount of the video memory.

So upgrading my RAM to say 64GB will solve this?

32-64. I had a 12GB GPU for a full year with 32GB of System RAM and got by fine. However, for some extra headfroom, 64GB will be plenty and do you better. It is one of the reasons I currently have 128GB. For me, the more the better, and I have a board that utilizes it effectively, particularly at 3600MHz (XMP).

Post edited by Visuimag on
  • I have the same card with 12gb of memory and my PC has 16gb of Ram. I can easily render scenes with 6 or 7 G8 characters on the bridge of a ship with planets outside with no problem. I don't think I've ever used more than 10gb of my GPU memory. Odd

• riverman63 said:

I have the same card with 12gb of memory and my PC has 16gb of Ram. I can easily render scenes with 6 or 7 G8 characters on the bridge of a ship with planets outside with no problem. I don't think I've ever used more than 10gb of my GPU memory. Odd

Not really.

Like most comparisons people make in the forums, it's apples and oranges.

There's an infinite number of variables that need to be considered, that it makes comparing one person's experience to anothers, irrelevant, unless they are comparing the exact same scene composition.

I can get 20+ g8f's in a particular scene, and easily stay under the 12GB of my m40's, without changing compression or reducing texture size.

On other scenes, i can't even get one in without exceeding the vram.

The number and size of textures, as well as the channels they're in, procedural materials, the level of sub-d and amount of geometry, the lighting, render settings all play a factor in the ram utilization.

There's a lot more to a scene than what people often think about.