Content Database Thumbnail Problem

31415926543141592654 Posts: 975

Awhile ago, the thubmnails in my product list disappeared. I have been ignoring it, but I need to find things. Last night I reset the database and re-imported the metadata. For generations 5,6,7,8 the thumbnails are back. But for generations 1,2,3,4 the thumbnails are lacking and even the product icon just shows the triangle with an exclamation mark. The products are available under the Daz and Poser libraries ... but sometimes things are very hard to find in those lists. So, what am I missing and/or how do I correct this? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: to add to the mystery, not all thumbnails appear in the daz and poser libraries. Even worse, I tried to uninstall and reinstall a few items ... but DIM gets stuck trying to uninstall on every item I have tried. 

EDIT: I will try removing a few products from the manifest and see if they will re-install that way.

Post edited by 3141592654 on

Comments

• Well ... removing the item in manifest and re-installing seemed to work for the product I tested.  I hope there is a better solution as it will take a long time to re-install ALL of my pre-genesis products.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited September 2021

Did you re-import through DIM or DS? If in DIM did you do everything? DIM is the easiest way because you can do it all at once. You can also filter by version numbers.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • 31415926543141592654 Posts: 975
    edited September 2021

frank0314 said:

Did you re-import through DIM or DS? If in DIM did you do everything? 

Ohhhh ... I did it through DS. I did not realize I could re-import through DIM. I will try that on some products and see what happens. Thanks.

EDIT:  I tried it on a few items and it did not work.

Post edited by 3141592654 on
  • NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,440

Do you mean the Product thumbnails that come with the metadata, or the individual asset icons? Pre-Genesis products (i.e. Poser format) don't have metadata, so no thumbnails, unless there is a DS native version of the product, and even then...

edited September 2021

3141592654 said:

frank0314 said:

Did you re-import through DIM or DS? If in DIM did you do everything? 

Ohhhh ... I did it through DS. I did not realize I could re-import through DIM. I will try that on some products and see what happens. Thanks.

EDIT:  I tried it on a few items and it did not work.

Is it the figures doing it or products for those figures or both? I'll check mine to see if mine is the same. Also are you going through the Content Library or Smart Content?

• Is it the figures doing it or products for those figures or both? I'll check mine to see if mine is the same. Also are you going through the Content Library or Smart Content?

It is both figures and products for figures. I am working with the content library. I have seldom touched smart content ... although I did peek at it today, but it was not much help.

Just to note: Even as we speak I am re-installing the Generation 1,2,3 stuff (almost done). If that works well, I will continue into Generations 4 and 5.

edited September 2021

In the meantime I will check mine.

Edit: Mine from V4 up through Genesis 8 are showing properly in Smart Content and Content Library.

• Re-installation haas vastly improved the situation, but it still has not fixed everything. At this time, I am letting it re-install generation 4 era items. Hopefully, whatever does not work after that will be things I am not needing to use. Generation 4 is important right now because of my personal PC+ Collection and Image challenge. 

If anyone has other ideas on what might be wrong and how to fix it, I am still open to suggestions.

• jjoynerjjoyner Posts: 595
    edited November 2021

3141592654 said:

Re-installation haas vastly improved the situation, but it still has not fixed everything. At this time, I am letting it re-install generation 4 era items. Hopefully, whatever does not work after that will be things I am not needing to use. Generation 4 is important right now because of my personal PC+ Collection and Image challenge. 

If anyone has other ideas on what might be wrong and how to fix it, I am still open to suggestions.

PiMan,

Earlier this yet, I finally got tired of hundreds of missing product thumbnails in Smart Gallery and Content Library that I took on the task of figuring out how to resolve the problem.  I searched the forums but did not find anything that seemed like it applied to my situation … or which I did not understand what was being offered  So, after much exploring, I finally figured it out for my system.  It may not have been the most elegant way, but it worked for me.  I have no missing icons in either Smart Gallery of Content Library.  My ful lcomments and a few screen captures are in the attached document file.

Joe (aka MathGuy) 

pdf
    pdf
    Thumbnails.pdf
    Post edited by jjoyner on
  • jjoyner said:

Pi Man,

Earlier this yet, I finally got tired of hundreds of missing product thumbnails in Smart Gallery and Content Library that I took on the task of figuring out how to resolve the problem.  I searched the forums but did not find anything that seemed like it applied to my situation … or which I did not understand what was being offered  So, after much exploring, I finally figured it out for my system.  It may not have been the most elegant way, but it worked for me.  I have no missing icons in either Smart Gallery of Content Library.  My ful lcomments and a few screen captures are in the attached document file.

Joe (aka MathGuy) 

Well thank you for the instructions !  It seems simple enough ... though time consuming.  But for items I use and that are still lacking, this may be the way to go. Thanks.