File not found errors

Recently on occasion when trying to merge an asset or add clothing to charactor from content library DS throws a "file does not exist" error.

When this happens it is false. It does exist.  I can right click and browse file location and see the file. Refresh does not help.

I can drag that file from the folder onto the chractor or into the scene.  I opened another empty scene and I can "merge" the article of cloting into the scene but if I have charactor loaded and selected then double click the clothing item it says not found?

What is causing DS to give a false error like this and how do I fix it?

Comments

• How did you install?

• Richard Haseltine said:

How did you install?

Manual as always.  I think I found the problem although it does not make sense to me.

It seems that the Win10 machine ( what a crap piece of OS ) was caching a synced copy not the actual file so I assume they were sym-links )

The other machines on network are Win 7 which are stable and reliable have no problems.

I am in process of moving all assets to the Win10 machine (which has space) and using that as server mainly BC the other W7 machines reliable see everything on the network where W10 networking is reliable as the welfare cats living under my house. LOL

I may update this later..

• It's also possible that you had, inadvertently, installed via Connect (through Daz Studio) and then removed the files, so the system was failing to find those (which it will always use, if declared to be present, rather than a manual or Install Manager/Central install).

• I don't have or use Connect. Given my 4 machines on network using one to serve assets to all that simply does not work. Everything I install I install manually.  Been doing it that way almost 5 years now.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

paul_ae567ab9 said:

I don't have or use Connect. Given my 4 machines on network using one to serve assets to all that simply does not work. Everything I install I install manually.  Been doing it that way almost 5 years now.

DAZ Connect is what installs and updates products within DS, in 'Smart' Content. If you are logging in to DS, it can easily happen by mistake.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

Only downfall to manual installs is that you will never get an update or even know there's an update. I have updates on stuff on a daily bases. DS has updates and bug fixes quite a bit and you will never know with manual installs. DIM is the best way to install products if you are familiar with installing products. If your new to it then Connect is a simplified version of DIM. It's very quick downloading and installing and you can select them all and do them all at once. For instance, I'm installing on my laptop and did 125 packs the other day in 20 minutes. It puts stuff where it is suppose to be so everything works after install. There is a lot of tools in DIM that are very powerful and customizable. It has a kick butt search function with a ton of filters. DIM really does make your life a heck of a lot less stressful. People should at least give it a try.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Central is the simplified (dumbed down) version of DIM, Connect is the installer integrated in to DAZ Studio through Smart(not!) Content.  Never use either Connect or Central.