Find a Point in 3D Space

Today I was playing around with the Circulus Pacis. I am trying to position figures at a specific location, all over the area. On the spires, between them, high above the sky.

https://www.daz3d.com/circulus-pacis

However, it's a lot of work. Is there a way to simply select a spot (on a tree object or the window or the tip of the tower) and get its 3D co-ordinates? Or, as Move around with the camera, can I simply see a live readout of the co-ordinates.

Ultimately, I wish to know the co-ordinates of a specific "something/anything" and move my figure to that spot in 3D space.

Comments

• Sorry, I just realized that I can create a camera and move it around and get a live readout. I dont know how to delete this thread. such a silly thing I just did.

i was moving around using the perspective camera when I put the above question. Sorry again for posting such a dumb question.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

There's a way to load in figures at specific positions. You have to hold either Ctrl or Alt and then click and drag the figure from the Smart Content pane into the viewport. You'll then see a big circle which'll show where the character will load in.

Also, Iray can't handle it when figures are too far from world origin. If you start seeing black eyes and pink-orange skin, change the instance optimization setting in your render settings.

• the solution to the too far from 0,0,0 bug is to group everything and move it all around and render the bits you want at 0,0,0

you can do this with animated cameras too except you don't move the camera instead you move the group around the camera 

the solution to the too far from 0,0,0 bug is to group everything and move it all around and render the bits you want at 0,0,0

you can do this with animated cameras too except you don't move the camera instead you move the group around the camera 

No, the solution is to change your Instance Optimization setting. The Iray docs explicitly state it will center everything at world origin, so doing it manually is pointless.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,876

margrave said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

the solution to the too far from 0,0,0 bug is to group everything and move it all around and render the bits you want at 0,0,0

No, the solution is to change your Instance Optimization setting. The Iray docs explicitly state it will center everything at world origin, so doing it manually is pointless.

I think that depends on what version of Daz Studio you are using, doesn't it? It seems like NVIDIA updated Iray to do that, but I don't think it originally did. I don't know at what version Daz Studio implemented that.

• oh yeah, I use 4.11 mostly blush

barbult said:

margrave said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

I think that depends on what version of Daz Studio you are using, doesn't it? It seems like NVIDIA updated Iray to do that, but I don't think it originally did. I don't know at what version Daz Studio implemented that.

I checked the release notes and apparently it was added in 2019.1.1.

https://rsdoc.migenius.com/doc/resources/general/iray/relnotes.pdf

So yes, if you're using a version of Iray from before 2019, then it looks like shifting your scene manually is the appropriate solution.

• Folks,

Grouping. Check. Alt Usage. Check. 

Some of the other suggestions are too advanced for my current work, but I have added them to my work diary. 

Thank you, as always.