Fluidos II Lite - mesh pours through containers during simulation [Solved]

Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 728

I'm really new to tinkering with Fluidos II, but it's not behaving at all like I expected.  I add a container to the Domain and set it as an Obstacle -- I've used glass props and glass jars from a couple of sets.

I add a sphere and size it so that it's inside  the container -- no part of the sphere clips through the container wall.  The sphere is set to be a Fluid Mass.

When I run the simulation, the fluid runs out of the sides or out of the bottom of the container.  I thought I was going to be able to use it to "fill" glasses and jars, but so far, that's not happening.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Olo

Post edited by Olo_Ordinaire on

Comments

• Perhaps if you upload one of your scenes, with a note of the products used so that people know whether they will be able to test it.

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 728
    edited September 2021

Ok, I set up a test scene and took a couple of quick renders, as well, to show the setup and the result.

The container is one of the glass jars from the   Glass Jars Collection  product.   The same behavior occurs with a simple bar glass from one of the FG interior environments.

Thanks,

Olo

duf
    duf
    Fluidos II Test Scene.duf
    Fluidos Test result.png
    2300 x 1800 - 2M
    Fluidos Test setup before simulation.png
    2300 x 1800 - 2M
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Keep in mind that the scene uses an item from the Glass Jar Collection: https://www.daz3d.com/glass-jars-collection

• OK, I haven't yet checked out with the freebie but I will do so now.

• I just tried a test with a container from Maclean's Everyday Crockery set, with the same results.

I must be setting something incorrectly for the liquid mass to just drop through the obstacle/container as I'm seeing.   I can't believe this wouldn't, in general, be a normal use of the Fluidos product.

• It is the cell Size, and perhaps the lack of Thicken applied to the obstacle. By default the cells are 2.5cm, and that is enough that a single cell may contain some of the fluid and also some of the outside of the container, so the fluid can "quantum tunnel" out. Make your domain smaller, make your cell size much smaller (1cm was still a bit large", perhaps thicken the obstacle (which should reduce the need to shrink the cell size) and I think it will be workable.

• Terrific.  All that makes sense and I'll give those tweaks a try. 

Thanks, Richard!

• Even dropping the cell size to 0.25, and adding a thickness of 1 to the jar, although the result was not as bad it was still a mess with a lot of the fluid mass attached to the sides of the jar - certainly not worth uploading my scene file as an example of what to do :(.

• I'll change this discussion to [Solved]  as I did get it to sort of work by changing the cell size and reducing the size of the Domain bounding box.

The results are still pretty awful, in my opinion.  I get a lot of particles still leaking through the container/obstacle and it takes much too long.   The only usable output is a set of .PLY files, which it seems have to be imported into something like Blender, then re-exported as OBJ files to have a reusable  mesh in the  shape of the container used for simulation.  After a 120 frame simulation, the mass still looks like disturbed jelly.

This is way too fiddly for me, but I'm sure the product is valuable for some folks.

Thanks for looking into it, Richard.

• I wouldn't use this simply to fill a jar - it's going to be a lot of work for, quite possibly, an inferior result to just taking the jar model and chopping bits away to make a fill object. Where Fluidos would be the better option would be tilted vessels, especially if actually pouring, or irregular shapes where modelling a fill volume would be awkward.

• Olo_OrdinaireOlo_Ordinaire Posts: 728
    edited September 2021

Thanks, Richard, but I have zero modelling skills, so doing what you describe to an existing model is beyond me.   All I wanted was a way to fill a jar with liquid for a one-off render -- like one of the glass jars from the Glass Jars Collection .   A lot of those are not simple cylinders, so a fluid sim seemed like the ticket.  Oh well!  ;-)

• It doesn't really require modelling skills to any great extent - you could use the Geometry Editor inside Daz Studio to do most of it (delete the top and outside of the jar, leaving the sides up to the level of the liquid you want, as as close as the existing dvisions get. The last step, capping the new mesh so it is a solid volume, is the bit that requires a modeller but it doesn't require any deep knowledge.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,412

Olo_Ordinaire said:

Thanks, Richard, but I have zero modelling skills, so doing what you describe to an existing model is beyond me.   All I wanted was a way to fill a jar with liquid for a one-off render -- like one of the glass jars from the Glass Jars Collection .   A lot of those are not simple cylinders, so a fluid sim seemed like the ticket.  Oh well!  ;-)

Hi!

I reviewed your scene. The problem is that this jar is a closed object, it has a cap in its geometry; thus the engine is confusing outside and inside regions. If you want to use this jar, you have to cut its cap using the Geometry Editor Tool (only for the simulation, you don't have to use it for rendering).

The simulation is faster if you minimize the unused space. See this image:

Set the FLUIDOS - Thicken property to 2 (to internal thicken the jar walls). A cell size of 0.5 or a little lower is OK. And set the Fluidos Mesher Preview parameter to Off (otherwise, you'll see an ugly fluid mesh).

jar2.png
    389 x 388 - 11K
  • Wow, thanks for responding, Alvin!   I will give the geometry editor a try, though I have no experience with it.

I had not realized that a completely closed container could be a problem.  I will keep that in mind as revisit use of Fluidos.

Thanks again,

Olo