Building new PC for Daz Iray - Feedback requested

I'm looking to buy an Origin Chronos for about $3,500. The size of it makes it fittable as carry-on, and covenient to move around between my individual Daz use, or family videogame time by plugging it into the living room. I don't quite understand how the gpu, motherboard, and ram will play with each other, and if I'm missing something. At this point I'm %100 decided on the size as having it as carry-on is the safest way for me to bring it back home when I go back overseas in about a year, and it would still easily run circles around what I have there.

Gpu - NVIDIA 8GB GeForce RTX 3070 - This will honestly be a huge upgrade from my 1060, and I don't feel the need to pay more out the nose for the 3080 or '90. I use Daz Iray, and animation, but primarily with 1-3 character scenes, and I'm quite experienced at working with shortcuts in the viewport to reduce stress on the PC until I'm ready for the final render(s).

Ram - 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 3200MHz (4x16GB) - I'm willing to upscale to the 64gb ram if it makes rendering a better experience. should I just go for the 32gb? I looked up previous Daz threads that said the Gpu "bottlenecks" at 8gb, is that true? Should I bother with this kind of build if I can't even use more than 8gb? Pardon the questions, I'm just not understanding what this means, but I'd gladly pay more for the 64gb if it means better performance, less heat/stress on the PC/gpu.

Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax - It's pretty much the only configurable option they'll allow for Chronos, or ASUS ROG Strix Z590-I Gaming WiFi for +$300, but I'm not seeing a major difference, so I decided to go with the cheaper one.

The psu is 750 Watt CORSAIR SFX Series if that matters, and I was going to go with an i9 cpu.

Just kind of curious before I take this massive plunge and potentially get back into Iray rendering if this will be a well utilized build or not, I've received great input here before and I really appreciate it.

Comments

• Need lots of VRAM.

• The memory and itx logistics don't add up.

Most mini itx motherboards including the ASRock Z590M-ITX/ have only 2 DIMM slots

you probably want to go with 2 sticks of 32 Gb of DDR4 3600 Mhz in the event you want to overclock

• DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 388
    edited September 2021

The memory and itx logistics don't add up.

Most mini itx motherboards including the ASRock Z590M-ITX/ have only 2 DIMM slots

you probably want to go with 2 sticks of 32 Gb of DDR4 3600 Mhz in the event you want to overclock

Oh I see, yes I can choose a two 32gb ram (64gb total), and that would be useful and not wasted as opposed to getting a 32gb(2x 16gb)? Edit: I think I also recorded that wrong in the first post, my bad.
    Post edited by DefaultName on
  • DefaultNameDefaultName Posts: 388
    edited September 2021

Need lots of VRAM.

Oh, okay. So I should opt for a higher gpu, I can select a 3080 with 12gb vram, but it's really costly.
    Post edited by DefaultName on
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,254
    edited September 2021

DefaultName said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Need lots of VRAM.

Oh, okay. So I should opt for a higher gpu, I can select a 3080 with 12gb vram, but it's really costly.

I'm saving too ;-) 

4GB VRAM barely does it these days ... have to turn down the subdivisions esp. on the G8.1 figures and any HD morphs or the program crashes. I thought I had more but apparently as I understand things now, for laptops they removed VRAM, same card on a desktop allegedly would be 8GB. So today 8GB might be quite workable but D/S5 is expected to be released maybe by the end of the year and will quite likely come with even more figures or improvements etc. requiring more memory. So as I understand the matter {I'm not somebody who puts together computers, I get the nice man at the store to do that but I have to tell him what I want}, some are finding 8GB barely passable because of the scenes they are rendering. So yes, if/when the prices come down and you can afford it as I would think you would like a machine that can handle it all for the next few years, not just today. But like with everything the same machine is not the best for everybody. You know what you want to do with D/S and how much it's worth to spend what you can afford to for it. Like I know it might cost $5,000 dollars to get a monster machine in here, but for what? A couple of freebies I make for people. Not happening. I will buy what I can afford and render in layers if I have to.

There are going back to school sales, then there's Black Friday sales, Christmas sales, Boxing day sales, golly we're going out of business in March sales, etc. Hopefully you'll luck into a really good deal at the right time.

Did a little Google searching, seems it suffering from the same fate as the 3090's. Powerful enough to get the attention of the cryptominers. So yeah, they're pricey BUT some are finding them by buying a complete computer. One ends up with spare parts that way I guess.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • DefaultName said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Need lots of VRAM.

I'm saving too ;-) 

4GB VRAM barely does it these days ... have to turn down the subdivisions esp. on the G8.1 figures and any HD morphs or the program crashes. I thought I had more but apparently as I understand things now, for laptops they removed VRAM, same card on a desktop allegedly would be 8GB. So today 8GB might be quite workable but D/S5 is expected to be released maybe by the end of the year and will quite likely come with even more figures or improvements etc. requiring more memory. So as I understand the matter {I'm not somebody who puts together computers, I get the nice man at the store to do that but I have to tell him what I want}, some are finding 8GB barely passable because of the scenes they are rendering. So yes, if/when the prices come down and you can afford it as I would think you would like a machine that can handle it all for the next few years, not just today. But like with everything the same machine is not the best for everybody. You know what you want to do with D/S and how much it's worth to spend what you can afford to for it. Like I know it might cost $5,000 dollars to get a monster machine in here, but for what? A couple of freebies I make for people. Not happening. I will buy what I can afford and render in layers if I have to.

There are going back to school sales, then there's Black Friday sales, Christmas sales, Boxing day sales, golly we're going out of business in March sales, etc. Hopefully you'll luck into a really good deal at the right time.

Did a little Google searching, seems it suffering from the same fate as the 3090's. Powerful enough to get the attention of the cryptominers. So yeah, they're pricey BUT some are finding them by buying a complete computer. One ends up with spare parts that way I guess.

Yes, that's the appeal of the Chronos, it's a premade I can fly overseas with me that's also very powerful. I guess the extra cost for the 3080 right now would be worthwhile if I can get a few years out of it like my last PC. So the upgrade from 8gb vram to 12gb vram would be worthwhile by itself? Does sound pretty significant.
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

DefaultName said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Need lots of VRAM.

There's also the 12GB 3060 (without TI), according to the benchmark results here on the forum, it is still faster than the 'king of the hill' from the previous generation (2080Ti) 

• PerttiA said:

DefaultName said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Need lots of VRAM.

There's also the 12GB 3060 (without TI), according to the benchmark results here on the forum, it is still faster than the 'king of the hill' from the previous generation (2080Ti) 

Yeah, my issue though is that's not an option on the Origin website for the Chronos, and I don't have the know-how to build one myself, nor do I think I can find a case as small as theirs. Might be worth trying to build my own that small, but I'm not confident I'd do it as well as Origin claims they would with their Chronos.
  • Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,254
    edited September 2021

DefaultName said:

Catherine3678ab said:

DefaultName said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Need lots of VRAM.

I'm saving too ;-) 

Yes, that's the appeal of the Chronos, it's a premade I can fly overseas with me that's also very powerful. I guess the extra cost for the 3080 right now would be worthwhile if I can get a few years out of it like my last PC. So the upgrade from 8gb vram to 12gb vram would be worthwhile by itself? Does sound pretty significant.

It's your decision what you do, but yes I think so. The monster machine I'm dreaming of is the 64GB with all the bells and whistles, but not at today's prices lol ... I wouldn't consider that portable though. Thing is I also have 3DCoat which requires quite a bit for modeling, it's too sluggish on this gaming laptop. Didn't use to be but sure is now. Allegedly the 3090 is designed with creators in mind.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • I don't have any room for a desktop so have a laptop with an 8GB RTX3070 and 64GB of system RAM. The 8GB on the GPU is a limiitation and I would also recommend you go higher if you can afford it. I bought it 2 months ago and there were a few available with 16GB RTX3080s but the price was too high. There are more available now and the price on those has come down so I wish I had waited!