Import Skyrim .Nif files into Daz3d

Hi all. I was wondering if it was possible to somehow import assets from Skyrim such as hair styles or outfits into Daz3d for the models to wear? The assets in Skyrim as all .nif files so some conversion would have to be done, but after that I'm wondering what the best way to go about it is? I'm completely new to 3D modeling so apologies if this is a stupid question.

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

Be sure to read the Bethesda and Skyrim EULA to be sure what you want to do is permitted.

• they look pretty awful 

are very low poly and solid, I deleted bits with the geometry editor to fit them but dforce did not work well at all even subdivided.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037
    edited September 2021

NifSkope is what you need BTW

http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/NifSkope

and no you cannot redistribute, sell etc anything but a fan Art render for your own use is perfectly acceptable 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • <3 Skyrim :)

• Thanks all for the advice.

And don't worry, I don't plan to sell or redistribute the assets. I'm an illustrator and only want to use them as drawing references for my Elder Scrolls fanart. 

• WendyLuvsCatz said:

and no you cannot redistribute, sell etc anything but a fan Art render for your own use is perfectly acceptable 

Thanks, I have NifSkope, but wasn't aware it could handle .duf files.

And don't worry. I don't plant to redistribute the assets. I just want to use them as drawing references. 

• I believe the original question related to .nif files into DAZ3D not .duf files into nifskope!!!

regards Colin

seltro1 said:

WendyLuvsCatz said:

Thanks, I have NifSkope, but wasn't aware it could handle .duf files.

And don't worry. I don't plant to redistribute the assets. I just want to use them as drawing references. 

no only obj AFAIK 

edited October 2022

since I got a duplicate post you also need BSAopt to extract the textures

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Is it possible to port Skyrim characters to Daz3d using the same process?

• HaremNSFW said:

Is it possible to port Skyrim characters to Daz3d using the same process?

That's an entirely different problem because of how the models are made. Hands, feet, and heads are separate meshes, but the bodies are a single mesh. You would have to weld them all to the body in a mesh editor with that capability, then you have to build a skeletal structure in DS for them.

I tried it several years ago (I used to rig custom Poser figures, so I had the experience) but those meshes are difficult to work with, and those feet are hideous. The armors are actually more detailed than the bodies (unless you're looking at Caliente's work).

I gave up on the game bodies and tried my hand at converting the armors and other clothing for use on DS figures. You have to do a lot of mesh cutting - separating paired items like gauntlets and boots, and still some parts of the armors are quirky. Most scenery/architecture assets from the game can just drop right in, once converted to OBJ, as can weapons and shields. Helmets and hoods are another problem.

The happiest medium I could achieve was cutting the most identifiable parts off and sticking them to a bodysuit, but even then posing was problematic because of the mesh origins and rotation of limbs causing the armor to twist unrealistically.

So then I just started going through the Store and looking for "inspired by" armor sets, and there are quite a few Elven-style armors that could be a good substitute, but then you run into the brick wall: the PA making one armor (i.e. "Elven") doesn't make the others (Steel/Iron/Glass/Dwemer/DB/Vampire/DG/etc), and no one's really got a nice Daedric substitute. You can cut bits off the Skyrim meshes and parent them to those few sets that are available, but then you have noticeable style and texture differences. You also end up with about $2K worth of Daz assets from a dozen different content creators approaching a single concept from multiple perspectives.

In theory, you could still use all of those Store assets to make "Skyrim-inspired" art/fanfic, just without "the look". Maybe use the shields in a scene, but they won't match, and the weapons are so low-quality that it's just not worth bothering unless you want to make your own textures.

• Thank you. That makes sense.

Nifskope renders nice big images for Facegen, Face Transfer or Headshop enlightened