Prevent DS from seeking SQL

This is only a minor inconvienece but I am bugged by little things and like to know how to remove the critters!

I have 5 desktops on LAN one of which serves as a server contains all my DS assets but no installtion of DS or SQL.

I  do manual install of assets to the server which is fine with me.

The server's drive is mapped with same drive letter on each machine.

The other 4 desktops have DS installed with no SQL but no assets reside on these four machines.

I design primarily on one machine then over LAN send the .duf to be rendered on one of the other's while I continue to work on primary machine.

Reason for all assets on a server is obvious. All machines loading a duf file for render must find all assets in the exact same location as specified in duf files.

Since an SQL on the individual machines would be useless I just removed that application. Of course on each start of DS it pauses to find the SQL then I have to acknowlede it is missing, then move on with my work.  Like I said this does not prevent progress...just an annoyance.

I would love to be able to do either of:

1. Stop DS from even searching for the presence of SQL

or

2. Be able to install only the SQL on the server and point each PC's DS program to that instance of SQL on the server.

The important thing is that all machines DS are in sync with the assets on server.

Other than the annoyance on start this system has worked flawlessly for several years.

RenderFarm.jpg
900 x 1158 - 98K

Comments

• paul_ae567ab9 said:

This is only a minor inconvienece but I am bugged by little things and like to know how to remove the critters!

I have 5 desktops on LAN one of which serves as a server contains all my DS assets but no installtion of DS or SQL.

I  do manual install of assets to the server which is fine with me.

The server's drive is mapped with same drive letter on each machine.

The other 4 desktops have DS installed with no SQL but no assets reside on these four machines.

I design primarily on one machine then over LAN send the .duf to be rendered on one of the other's while I continue to work on primary machine.

Reason for all assets on a server is obvious. All machines loading a duf file for render must find all assets in the exact same location as specified in duf files.

Since an SQL on the individual machines would be useless I just removed that application. Of course on each start of DS it pauses to find the SQL then I have to acknowlede it is missing, then move on with my work.  Like I said this does not prevent progress...just an annoyance.

I would love to be able to do either of:

1. Stop DS from even searching for the presence of SQL

or

2. Be able to install only the SQL on the server and point each PC's DS program to that instance of SQL on the server.

The important thing is that all machines DS are in sync with the assets on server.

Other than the annoyance on start this system has worked flawlessly for several years.

You could install PostgreSQL and either leave it unused or reimport the metadata after an update to the content (you can export user data to enable that to be added to the database).

While each version of DS obviously needs to be able to find the content, the .duf files use the relative location within the content directory - they don't care where the content directory is.

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 371
    edited September 2021

Support for option 2 was added in DS 4.6.3.36, DIM 1.1.0.15 (changelog missing, see post here).

On the server:

Open %APPDATA%\DAZ 3D\cms\ContentCluster\postgresql.conf and add

listen_addresses = '*'

Open %APPDATA%\DAZ 3D\cms\ContentCluster\pg_hba.conf and add

host dzcontent dzcms samenet trust

On the other stations:

Open %APPDATA%\DAZ 3D\cms\cmscfg.json and add

"ConnectionURI" : "postgresql://[email protected]:17237/dzcontent"

You will have to ensure the CMS is running on the server for the stations to connect to it, they will not be able to auto-start it like the server can.

Post edited by Omniflux on