Transferring morphs from G8F to G8M?

Is there an (easy) way for transferring morphs from G8F to G8M?

Comments

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,250
    edited September 2021

Ok I'll jump in here. No. {see post below, sometimes it's nice to be wrong :-) }

There are some conversion utilities, there are some work-a-rounds but bottom line, it's a lot easier just to buy the morphs for concerned figure in the first place ;-)

The thread to be following is here: Click here.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 561
    edited September 2021

There's a way, but it isn't quick (depending on how many morphs you want to do). 

The procedure is easy, however. Open the Transfer Utility, select the figure you want to transfer the morphs from (make said morphs a Favorite in the Parameters Tab first → this is important). From there, choose the Clone option (for example — if going from G8F to G8M, you would choose the Genesis 8 Male Clone). After that, select the figure the morphs are going to and then click Show Options.

In there, check Use Near Vertices and make the number 1000%. After that, uncheck Weight Maps, Selection Map, Face Groups, and Region Groups, but leave Morph Targets checked. To the right in the Morph Targets Tab, Change From Source from None to Favorites. After that, uncheck From Projection Template and Override Existing. Down below, you will also uncheck Parent To Source Figure and Fit To Source Figure and click Accept. Your morphs should now be applied to the new figure. 

Post edited by Visuimag on
  • Visuimag said:

There's a way, but it isn't quick (depending on how many morphs you want to do). 

The procedure is easy, however. Open the Transfer Utility, select the figure you want to transfer the morphs from (make said morphs a Favorite in the Parameters Tab first → this is important). From there, choose the Clone option (for example — if going from G8F to G8M, you would choose the Genesis 8 Male Clone). After that, select the figure the morphs are going to and then click Show Options.

In there, check Use Near Vertices and make the number 1000%. After that, uncheck Weight Maps, Selection Map, Face Groups, and Region Groups, but leave Morph Targets checked. To the right in the Morph Targets Tab, Change From Source from None to Favorites. After that, uncheck From Projection Template and Override Existing. Down below, you will also uncheck Parent To Source Figure and Fit To Source Figure and click Accept. Your morphs should now be applied to the new figure. 

Okay ... that's something to try, thanks :-) 

• Catherine3678ab said:

Visuimag said:

Yup! Let me know how it goes! 

edited September 2021

Visuimag said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Visuimag said:

Yup! Let me know how it goes! 

It went well - on the 1st try even :-) 

Following your instructions I also:

In my usual fashion, loaded into the scene both G8M and G8F, removed all eyelashes and set figures to base resolution, render subD Level 0, and I leave subD level at 1 [1 or 0, either setting normally lets morphs be created].
    Dialed in what's likely a popular morph for G8F.
    Set that morph into the Favorite Category by clicking on the little heart.
    On the Transfer Utility, ? "remove unused bones" I unchecked that box too.
    Clicking on Morph Targets to get the extended options dialog for it, From Source "Favorites" - unchecked the other 2 boxes.
    Post Transfer Options: uncheck everything.
    Click Accept.

It took. Dialed in morph, returned figure to high res etc. Polished morph and saved it for in case I ever want to have what was referred to as a "nursing father" for some Biblical scene.

Transferring morphs to M from F.png
    1006 x 805 - 100K
    It worked!.png
    1558 x 815 - 432K
    edited December 2021

In trying this procedure in D/S4.16 with a full character shape morph, when matching the rigging to figure, the mesh VANISHED. It is not supposed to do that. So I went ahead with the steps like it was still there and saved the alleged morph on the awol mesh. Reloaded the scene, the morph WAS THERE but the rigging had NOT adjusted. So I asked again for the rigging to be adjusted and it was. ERC freeze worked too. Resaved morph. Reloaded scene.

Nothing is always as simply as one expects/hopes it is or should be. In the new morph there was a serious glitch so an adjustment morph was made to take care of that.

Update: and then for unknown reason D/S claimed the duplicate error message when loading a new figure. Sigh.

So back to drawing board: Got it working finally.

Tip: Before telling D/S to adjust rigging to shape, "save the morph" ... then adjust rigging, do ERC, then save the morph again. Apparently there are times when the rigging is what may cause serious glitches in the newly morphed figure, so I made an adjustment morph but this time instead of having one dial the other in [and then get duplicate error messages], I remade the morph A with B, and saved the final working morph. It now loads as it should and I have a male and female Drax figure. And there will be no .pdf tutorial on how to do this.

• That sounds as if there were two ERC Freezes - before you can do an ERC Freeze for adjustments to the first round of settings you must right-click on the link in the Property Hierarchy and select ERC Bake, with the controller set full on, so that you are working with raw not linked values.

edited December 2021

Richard Haseltine said:

That sounds as if there were two ERC Freezes - before you can do an ERC Freeze for adjustments to the first round of settings you must right-click on the link in the Property Hierarchy and select ERC Bake, with the controller set full on, so that you are working with raw not linked values.

After the adjustment morph, I did not need to have another bone adjustment, while the rigging threw out some geometry there was no bone on it. Adjustment morph was just to put a bit of mesh back in the mouth where it belonged.

For each morph there was only the one adjust rigging to mesh, one ERC freeze.

I repeated each morph with either a fresh scene or a fresh instance of D/S.
    Each time I asked for an Adjust rigging to mesh [for new unsaved morph], the mesh vanished and/or the viewpoint became a void, nothing but the background colour. The rigging did not adjust.

After saving that morph from an apparently blank scene {so G8M had to be in there somehow, just in the um, ethereal realm I guess}, clearing the scene and/or starting D/S afresh, loading in G8M - then the saved morph was there and working. Then I could run the Adjust rigging to shape and it worked. Then I ran the ERC freeze and that worked, then I would resave the morph.

So, one brand new morph saved, then Adjust rigging to shape, then ERC freeze and then save again.

Merry Christmas Richard!  I put in a ticket too so them with larger computer systems might know to take a look at those features and at least be aware of them and like, maybe fix that.

So far with all my morphs I've never had to use ERC Bake. Mind you, so far I've never had a morph when rigged, throw the upper palette and part of a couple of teeth down through the jaw about a foot.

So for future reference, IF I ever want to do a 2nd ERC freeze to a morph, then I must first bake it as you say. Noted. Thank you.

G8F to G8M.png
    1000 x 1000 - 564K