re-Install of G8M starter Essentials ??

Hi,

to get the G8.1 I wanted to re-install the Genesis 8 Male starter essentials.
So I used DIM to deinstall the existing one, downloaded the corresponding from my product library and strated the download with DIM.
But DIM doesn't show this package in "ready to install".

So please help. How can I get my Genesis 8 male to work again?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited September 2021

Which figure do you want installed Genesis 8.1 or Genesis 8? You need to install the proper Starter Essentials pack for whichever one you want. They are seperate installers for each. Which do you mean you mentioned both. If your using DIM to install why are you downloading the zip? If you uninstall it with DIM it will automatically move to ready to install. I forgot they were hte same installer.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

Hi,

I see only one zip for both - 8 and 8.1
    For female it installed properly (IM00042071-01_Genesis8FemaleStarterEssentials) and presents G8F and G8.1F.
    After copying the content for male manually into the library, G8M and G8.1M were available, but a lot of morphs are not supported on G8.1.

I have a 4.15 installation on a different PC in a different location. All additional morphs (G3 adopt, body, arms, legs morphs) work properly. Here I copied the starter essentials from to move them to my other location with 4.10. But DIM didn't accept the new male starter essentials as a new product to install. For female it worked.
    So what do I have to do to let DIM accept the male 8 starter essetials as "a new/updated product"?

If you say, there are different zip's for 8 and 8.1 - so what are the names of these zip files?
    How can I download them from my product library of my account? And how to let DIM accept these to be newly installed?

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,870
    edited September 2021

AndyS said:

Hi,

For female it installed properly (IM00042071-01_Genesis8FemaleStarterEssentials) and presents G8F and G8.1F.
    After copying the content for male manually into the library, G8M and G8.1M were available, but a lot of morphs are not supported on G8.1.

I have a 4.15 installation on a different PC in a different location. All additional morphs (G3 adopt, body, arms, legs morphs) work properly. Here I copied the starter essentials from to move them to my other location with 4.10. But DIM didn't accept the new male starter essentials as a new product to install. For female it worked.
    So what do I have to do to let DIM accept the male 8 starter essetials as "a new/updated product"?

If you say, there are different zip's for 8 and 8.1 - so what are the names of these zip files?
    How can I download them from my product library of my account? And how to let DIM accept these to be newly installed?

"Genesis8MaleStarterEssentials.zip" contains both G8M and G8.1M; there's only a single zip file that contains both products.

To do this through DIM, it would work to go to the "Installed" tab in DIM, search for "Genesis 8 Male Starter Essentials" (if it was installed by DIM originally, it should be there), check the box next to the name, click "Uninstall". Once it has completed that process, the product will appear in either the "Ready to Install" or "Ready to Download" tab -- where it is depends on whether or not DIM can find the previously downloaded zip file. Once it's shown up in one of those two tabs, you should be able to reinstall properly.

However: I may have misunderstood what your process was. Are you manually downloading the file from the online product library, putting it in your DIM directory, and then letting DIM unpack and install, or are you letting DIM do the entire process on its own, from download through install?

Post edited by vwrangler on

vwrangler said:

AndyS said:

Hi,

"Genesis8MaleStarterEssentials.zip" contains both G8M and G8.1M; there's only a single zip file that contains both products.

However: I may have misunderstood what your process was. Are you manually downloading the file from the online product library, putting it in your DIM directory, and then letting DIM unpack and install, or are you letting DIM do the entire process on its own, from download through install?

OK,

so I originally had the old G8 (male and female) installed and working properly (current location with 4.10).
    On my other location I did a trial installation of 4.15 to test with filament.
    Now I thought it would be a good idea to copy the G8 starter essentials and install them on my 4.10 PC. So normally if I copy a new file to the DIM download directory, DIM recognizes this as new and "ready to install". But this only worked fine for the female once. For male it didn't do at all.

So I deinstalled the G8 male starter essentials, removed the old zip and substituted it by the new one.
    Now DIM doesn't show any G8 starter essentials anymore. Neither on the "installed" side, although the "IM00042071-01_Genesis8FemaleStarterEssentials.zip" and "IM00042071-02_Genesis8MaleStarterEssentials.zip" are in the download folder.

Only to be able to play around with G8, I copied the content manually to my library.

Alternatevly: could someone send/link me installable G8 starter essentials, please?

• AndyS said:

vwrangler said:

AndyS said:

Hi,

OK,

so I originally had the old G8 (male and female) installed and working properly (current location with 4.10).
    On my other location I did a trial installation of 4.15 to test with filament.
    Now I thought it would be a good idea to copy the G8 starter essentials and install them on my 4.10 PC. So normally if I copy a new file to the DIM download directory, DIM recognizes this as new and "ready to install". But this only worked fine for the female once. For male it didn't do at all.

So I deinstalled the G8 male starter essentials, removed the old zip and substituted it by the new one.
    Now DIM doesn't show any G8 starter essentials anymore. Neither on the "installed" side, although the "IM00042071-01_Genesis8FemaleStarterEssentials.zip" and "IM00042071-02_Genesis8MaleStarterEssentials.zip" are in the download folder.

Only to be able to play around with G8, I copied the content manually to my library.

Alternatevly: could someone send/link me installable G8 starter essentials, please?

No one hasanything differnt to the files in your account, and even if they did they would not be permitted to share.

You need to be a bit more precise about what you are doing if we are to be able to offer any advice.

edited September 2021

So OK, once again,

I removed the "old" G8 starter essentials and downloaded the current G8 starter essentials (which now should contain 8.1) from my account.
    After setting these 2 files (male and female) into the DIM download directory, they were not recognized by DIM.
    So if only using DIM I don't have any chance to re-install G8 again. There aren't any G8 listed in DIM for "installed" neither for "to be installed".

This is the short summary of all the previous posts.

G8.1 is part of the current public official free 4.15 installation, correct?
    So how to get the G8.1 without destroying my reliablely working 4.10?

Post edited by AndyS on
  • AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

AndyS said:

So OK, once again,

I removed the "old" G8 starter essentials and downloaded the current G8 starter essentials (which now should contain 8.1) from my account.
    After setting these 2 files (male and female) into the DIM download directory, they were not recognized by DIM.
    So if only using DIM I don't have any chance to re-install G8 again. There aren't any G8 listed in DIM for "installed" neither for "to be installed".

This is the short summary of all the previous posts.

G8.1 is part of the current public official free 4.15 installation, correct?
    So how to get the G8.1 without destroying my reliablely working 4.10?

By pointing 4.10 at the same library as 4.15 instead of trying to insall the same product twice in separate locations.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

If you removed the old files manually you need to also remove the manifest file for them so DIM knowsthey are no longer installed.  When you first tried uninstalling them from DIM you should also delete them from DIM and then the newer install zips would have appeared for downloading.

edited September 2021

Hi jestmart,

jestmart said:

If you removed the old files manually you need to also remove the manifest file for them so DIM knowsthey are no longer installed.  When you first tried uninstalling them from DIM you should also delete them from DIM and then the newer install zips would have appeared for downloading.

are you talking about the Manifest file within the product zip? Or do you refer to the dsx file? Or the corresponding file in the Manifest archive folder of DIM?

However - G8M, G8.1M is installed (G8.1 still not recognized as Actor by CMS). But all the usual G8 morphs (Arms, Legs, Body-Bend, G3->G8 Translation, ...) are not present for 8.1.
    On a 4.15 installation I saw them present.

@Ascania:
    Different location is a different PC in a different town. But I have almost the same content on both.

As I now read in a different discussion, it is necessary to install the G8 default ressources as well. Puh, where is this installation file?
    Do I have to fully install 4.15 for this? This should not overwrite my working 4.9 installation !!  This one ist listed in the "Applications" Tab of DIM settings under the DAZ 4.5+ label.
    I know, I can define a different "Program-path" in DIM for "installation", but does this influence the information in the "Applications" tab?
    Which one counts? Cause as I saw, DIM wants to download and automatically install the 4.15 update. Once selected, I wouldn't have any chance to prevent it from installing. So I don't dare to start the 4.15 update at the moment.

Post edited by AndyS on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

DS 4.15 is needed for Genesis 8.1 to load dials for G8 characters and morphs.