G3 to G8 clothes conversion and JCMs

blazblaz Posts: 261
When converting G3 clothes by changing Scene Identification and posing the G8 character in G3 pose (edit: also Transfer Rigging - Figure Space), it works great, unless the clothes have JCMs. If the clothes have JCMs, they kick in as soon as the clothes are fitted to G8, deforming the mesh. Is there a way to deal with this without removing them? Edit: Is there a way to make JCMs work correctly, like they would on G3?
Post edited by blaz on

Comments

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,511
    edited September 2021

I truly haven't looked at this in any way, so what I say is total speculation based on hearsay and guesswork. I am miles away from my DS machine so I can't check myself. But if it doesn't work, maybe it'll trigger a similar idea that will work.

Now, as I understand it, each jcm is controlled by a formula which can be seen in the parameter properties. Is it possible to edit that parameter formula to include a '-45' in the shoulder bend parameter formula on the left side & '+45' on the right side? For legs would need '-6' in the Side-Side formula on the right side and '+6' in the formula on the left side. That would be similar to doing what is done in the G3->G8 pose correction script but building it into the formula that's there permanently.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • blazblaz Posts: 261
    edited September 2021
    Richardandtracy, your speculation, hearsay and guesswork might just work. I'll give it a try. Thanks! :)
    Post edited by blaz on
  • I will try it myself tonight, but if you find it does work in the mean time, that'd be very useful.

Regards,

Richard.

Okay, I managed to make it work. I think.

At first I followed SickleYields Tutorial by posing the clothes in a G8 pose, but didn't have much success. The JCMs behave differently. Because of Baking Joint Rotations?

So, instead of clothes, I posed the character in a G3 pose and didn't Bake Joint Rotations. The rest is the same as in the tutorial.

After fitting the clothes and putting the character in default pose I:

- copied JCM values from G3 clothes posed in default G8 pose and input them in the converted clothes JCMs

- created a New Property

- applied ERC Freeze on the New Property

It seems to work great. The correct JCM values for G8 pose are now loaded by default and add/subtract when moving bones.

Blaz

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,876

blaz said:

At first I followed SickleYields Tutorial by posing the clothes in a G8 pose, but didn't have much success. The JCMs behave differently. Because of Baking Joint Rotations?

So, instead of clothes, I posed the character in a G3 pose and didn't Bake Joint Rotations. The rest is the same as in the tutorial.

- copied JCM values from G3 clothes posed in default G8 pose and input them in the converted clothes JCMs

- created a New Property

It seems to work great. The correct JCM values for G8 pose are now loaded by default and add/subtract when moving bones.

Blaz

This sounds very intriguing, but I am a little confused. I loaded a G3F blouse with a peplum. It has JCMs for the thighs, but none for the shoulders. 

I posed G8F in the G3 pose. I changed the blouse scene ID, transferred rigging, and fit it to G8F. That causes shoulder JCMs to be generated for the blouse (to follow the G8F arms which are now posed like G3F). What do I need to do about those generated JCMs? Save them? Ignore them??

For the thigh JCMs that have matching names between G3F and G8F, after I copy the values, do I create just one New Property and ERC Freeze all of the modified JCMs to it, or do I need a New Property for each individual modified JCM?

edited September 2021

barbult said:

blaz said:

- created a New Property

Blaz

This sounds very intriguing, but I am a little confused. I loaded a G3F blouse with a peplum. It has JCMs for the thighs, but none for the shoulders. 

I posed G8F in the G3 pose. I changed the blouse scene ID, transferred rigging, and fit it to G8F. That causes shoulder JCMs to be generated for the blouse (to follow the G8F arms which are now posed like G3F). What do I need to do about those generated JCMs? Save them? Ignore them??

For the thigh JCMs that have matching names between G3F and G8F, after I copy the values, do I create just one New Property and ERC Freeze all of the modified JCMs to it, or do I need a New Property for each individual modified JCM?

Full disclosure, I am sure there must be a more elegant and proper way to do this, I just don't know it. It's why I made the thread. I've tried SickleYields Tutorial and scripted converters, but in the end, this gave me the best results.

For shoulders, I noticed the same thing. I'm ignoring it :) It will always kick in when raising shoulders on G8. You would probably have to make a new corrective morph if the clothes don't look good with raised shoulders. Or somehow limit the JCM at certain bend angles. Or maybe just a simple up/down shoulder morph.

I only made one New Property.

I posed the original G3 clothes in default G8 pose and copied all the JCM values that were modified to the converted clothes that were fitted on G8 in default pose.

Then I made a New Property, clicked ERC  Freeze and made sure only the modified JCMs were selected.

Saved as Figure/Prop Asset.

Post edited by blaz on

The clothes are Equestrian Uniform by H&C. The shoulders look like they should.

JCMs.Fix.png
    1455 x 1031 - 376K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,876
    Thank you for the extra details.
  • Glad you got something to work. I shall have to try it myself - don't have much G3 stuff though.