Can my computer handle 4.15?

After much delaying and worrying I'm finally going to upgrade from 4.10 to 4.15.

My question is can my AMD Radeon 580 4GB card able to handle it?

In 4.10 it doesn't give me the option to use the card for Iray only the CPU.

So can I do it?

Thanks

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Iray is by Nvidea so you need an Nvidea GPU to be able to render from the card and that is only if the card is new enough and has enough memory.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Iray is Nvidia so, no your AMD card cannot render Iray. It can still feed your monitor though.

• Faeryl WomynFaeryl Womyn Posts: 3,545
    edited September 2021

Both of them are wrong, you can use Daz without an Nvidia graphics card.

Iray uses the cores from the nvidia card and as such Daz uses the GPU to render, if you do not have one of these cards, then Daz will use the CPU. By using the CPU instead of the GPU, it will take much longer to render even a single image, yet it will render.

The last computer I had was using a card like yours with 4 gigs of vram with Daz 4.12 and it did take a long time to render if using iray. Also, you would not be able to use dforce if you don't have Nvidia (I could have that part wrong).

At some point you will need to get an Nvidia card if you want to use the newer versions of Daz and use Iray. You don't need a brand new one, second hand can do just as well. Many people are using the 1080 Nvidia cards with no problems at all. Also they have lots of ram, minimum of 16 gigs computer ram, the more the better.

It boils down to what you want to do with Daz, the more realism you want, the more expensive things are going to get.

Post edited by Faeryl Womyn on
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Sorry, there was nothing wrong in "no your AMD card cannot render Iray", which was an answer to what the OP was specifically asking.

• galatt said:

After much delaying and worrying I'm finally going to upgrade from 4.10 to 4.15.

My question is can my AMD Radeon 580 4GB card able to handle it?

In 4.10 it doesn't give me the option to use the card for Iray only the CPU.

So can I do it?

Thanks

Daz Studio Iray at the moment even 4.15 still requires an nVidia Video Card (GTX or RTX) to render in Iray. An AMD Radeon card will not render in Iray, however, You can still render Iray in CPU mode with DS 4.15  

• PerttiA said:

Sorry, there was nothing wrong in "no your AMD card cannot render Iray", which was an answer to what the OP was specifically asking.

My appoligies, I misread your first post,