MOVING OBJ Center Points, Proper Export

TheMightyThorTheMightyThor Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

hi All

I am having a little trouble remembering ONE small important step for OBJ Export from DAZ Studio 4 PRO, i hope you can help. I imported a UH-60 blackhawk helicopter into Daz Pro Studio 4 into the figure setup tool. I move the geometry over to create relationships between bones and to structure the figure. My Goal is to get 3 moving parts, the fuselage, the Main Rotor, and the rear rotor. I select each item, weight map it, use the Joint editor tool to move every thing to proper center points, always remembering to hit Memorize Selected Rigging. Every thing now looks great in DAZ studio, i parent the items, recheck the rotation, still looking great, Click Export, Wavefront OBJ, choose a name. this item is being prepared fro VideoCopilot's Element 3D, which is a 3D object manipulator for After Effects. Once i get the model in there, all the center points seem to have reverted back to the original center point of the UH60 (which is the Fuselage just below the passenger cabin).

So what am i doing wrong when Exporting this model from DAZ Studio 4 Pro? Please help its making me MENTAL :P

Comments

• TheMightyThorTheMightyThor Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

hi All

I am having a little trouble remembering ONE small important step for OBJ Export from DAZ Studio 4 PRO, i hope you can help. I imported a UH-60 blackhawk helicopter into Daz Pro Studio 4 into the figure setup tool. I move the geometry over to create relationships between bones and to structure the figure. My Goal is to get 3 moving parts, the fuselage, the Main Rotor, and the rear rotor. I select each item, weight map it, use the Joint editor tool to move every thing to proper center points, always remembering to hit Memorize Selected Rigging. Every thing now looks great in DAZ studio, i parent the items, recheck the rotation, still looking great, Click Export, Wavefront OBJ, choose a name. this item is being prepared fro VideoCopilot’s Element 3D, which is a 3D object manipulator for After Effects. Once i get the model in there, all the center points seem to have reverted back to the original center point of the UH60 (which is the Fuselage just below the passenger cabin).

So what am i doing wrong when Exporting this model from DAZ Studio 4 Pro? Please help its making me MENTAL :P

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,034
    edited December 1969

You can't do that - OBJ doesn't carry rigging information from DAZ Studio. You could try Collada or FBX as the export format.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 98,034
    edited December 1969

Merged duplicate threads - please don't post the same question in multiple sub-forums.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the reply, guess i'll have to use blender or hexagon for that

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

There was a script by DeltaX15 to move the origin of an OBJ or prop in DS: it's quite useful, and the prop can then be re-exported and re-imported with the new origin intact. A very useful device.

See http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=40845

edited August 2012

Thanks Eustace thats Awesome!! i knew there had to be a script for that!

Post edited by TheMightyThor on
    edited December 1969

Well Eustace, i must be doing something wrong on export, because thats not happening, it moves everything fine in Studio but export remains the same with no change to origin or pivot point. how are you doing it? according to mr hazeline, its not possible with studio

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited August 2012

Eustace Scrubb was off a bit Move Origin only works in the running instance of DS. It will not move the origin in a permanent way. That has been my experiance with it. If I save as object the object still saves with the default DS world origin.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

thats what i thought. have you tried something like hexagon or Blender to Move teh origin successfully on a re-exported OBJ file?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm not much of a modeler but I have read another thread that had tips about moving the origins. Let me see....
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/4721/ Try that link.

edited December 1969

HA! thats my problem, not much of a modeler either, just want to move a model's pivot point and have it align as set when exported out of either DAZ or Hexagon as an OBJ. this MOVE CENTER and other tips are only good for with in DAZ studio, the point does not translate out when you export. my goal is to be able to adjust the pivot points on a uh60 helicopter for use in another program

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,631
    edited December 1969

Blender is your friend. File--Import--Wavefront/obj.--Make sure keep vert order is turned on.

Once you import it, right click-to select it and go to the mesh tools menu on the left. Click Origin and choose Origin to Geometry.

If that does not create a center that you like, You can also try left-clicking around to place the 3d cursor, then using Origin to 3d Cursor. This is tricky, because you can only accurately place that cursor on one axis at a time (more experienced Blender users feel free to correct me).

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,883
    edited August 2012

Carrara will be able to do it for you too.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • Art_JunkieArt_Junkie Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    Carrara will be able to do it for you too.

Could you outline the steps for doing this in Carrara?