Duplicate formula question

I know there are posts about the Duplicate formula error, but search didn't show me them.

I need to fix someone else duf file it is a character for G3f that has multiple Duplicate formula errors. 

I see the lines in the duf file that the error logs refer to, but I am not sure what to do. I don't really know what Duplicate formula actually means. Does it mean it is in there twice and one needs deleted?

Comments

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

Use your favorite search engine and search for "Duplicate Formula site:https://www.daz3d.com/forums/"; (without the quotes)

The easiest way to get rid of the warning, is to uninstall the product containing the file that's referred to at the end of the warning.

You can also try downloading a fresh copy of the product if it has been updated/fixed.

If there is no update/fix available, and one still wants to use the product, one just needs to sit down, open the morph file in Notepad++ and figure out the problem, not as difficult as it sounds, especially if one has ever done any programming using any language. The information in the log gives a clue to what it is that one should be looking for.

• Are you sure it is an error in the character? The log will report the second isntance of the formula it finds, but most of the time these issues are conflicts between two characters using the same name rather than an error in the one that triggers the report.

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited September 2021

Duplicate forumla = as Richard Haseltine said, two files using the same name in your library.

Duplicates error has no relation whatsoever with a scene. But with the DAZ library used in any scene.

Solution :

- Install Voidtools Everything (mandatory for Windows, this app rocks)

- in the search bar of Everything, copy/paste between quotation marks the path to your DAZ library, something like, for example :

"C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library"

- Now open the log file, delete everything in it.

- Start your scene and when it's loaded, check one the duplicate files names.

- Back in Everything, add to the search the name of this file, for example :

"C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library" file.duf

- You should have two results. Delete one of the two files (or move somehwere outside the DAZ library if you're not sure what you're doing, if files have different sizes, etc).

- Restart DAZ when you're done moving all duplicates out of the library.

- Reload your scene. All should be good now.

P.S : just for info. This error is really annoying as we don't have an option to bypass error messages automatically. And if we're not there to click nothing happens (hardcore when you want to queue 10 renders during the night...). But it doesn't prevent you in any way to work normally.

Post edited by hansolocambo on

Searching for duplicate file names does not help with "Duplicate Formulas", as the file name is not necessarily the same as the formula - Actually the same applies to whatever warnings DS logs, they are all about the code that's written inside the files, not about the names of the files.

• I would not recommend deleting anything anyway - they are presumably characters you paid for, and wanted. You can fix the issue if the endors don't/won't by editing the problem names to be unique, but in order to avoid storing up future  trouble I would at least try to get the issue fixed in the official files first.

• hansolocambo said:

Duplicate forumla = as Richard Haseltine said, two files using the same name in your library.

Duplicates error has no relation whatsoever with a scene. But with the DAZ library used in any scene.

Solution :

- Install Voidtools Everything (mandatory for Windows, this app rocks)

- in the search bar of Everything, copy/paste between quotation marks the path to your DAZ library, something like, for example :

"C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library"

- Now open the log file, delete everything in it.

- Start your scene and when it's loaded, check one the duplicate files names.

- Back in Everything, add to the search the name of this file, for example :

"C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library" file.duf

- You should have two results. Delete one of the two files (or move somehwere outside the DAZ library if you're not sure what you're doing, if files have different sizes, etc).

- Restart DAZ when you're done moving all duplicates out of the library.

- Reload your scene. All should be good now.

P.S : just for info. This error is really annoying as we don't have an option to bypass error messages automatically. And if we're not there to click nothing happens (hardcore when you want to queue 10 renders during the night...). But it doesn't prevent you in any way to work normally.

I don't have 2 results. just the one.

• Richard Haseltine said:

I would not recommend deleting anything anyway - they are presumably characters you paid for, and wanted. You can fix the issue if the endors don't/won't by editing the problem names to be unique, but in order to avoid storing up future  trouble I would at least try to get the issue fixed in the official files first.

the character that is causing the problem is made by an artistic person that doesn't know a lot about daz. I have had to manually fix multiple erros with the persons characters, and have sent them the fixes. So I have no hope of the person fixing this on their own.

"editing the problem names to be unique"

Should this be done in the duff file? I don't see any duplicate file names in the directory.

• So in the code below, I would need to change zOrigin to something else, is that correct? What about the label, does that matter?

"id" : "z",

"type" : "float",

"name" : "zOrigin",

"label" : "Z Origin",

"visible" : false,

"value" : 0.1168788,

"current_value" : 0.1168788,

"min" : -10000,

"max" : 10000,

"step_size" : 0.01

}

],

• heinzerbrew_f94794efff said:

So in the code below, I would need to change zOrigin to something else, is that correct? What about the label, does that matter?

"id" : "z",

"type" : "float",

"name" : "zOrigin",

"label" : "Z Origin",

"visible" : false,

"value" : 0.1168788,

"current_value" : 0.1168788,

"min" : -10000,

"max" : 10000,

"step_size" : 0.01

}

],

No, don't chnage that - it's part of the basic set up (each bone has a set of origin properties). The issue will be the other end of the formula. If this is soemone who has little experience it is possible that the issue is in the character file, most likely the result of running ERC Freeze twice in succession (in which case you are probably looking fro multiple forumlae linking the main morph to the same property on the same bone). In that case you are either going to want to ditch the second formula (hopefull that is just a minor correction) or try to combine each into one (which may be tricky).

No, you would need to find the formula that changes the value

• PerttiA said:

No, you would need to find the formula that changes the value

Mercy, I used the search engine trick, and I now relize this is probably too big of a mess for me. the file has other problems on top of this. I removed the angel wings product and now this is getting the duplicate error with a different product....