search function not working

Since the last upgrade of DS, the search function in the Content Library has not worked. Key words fail to find any hits. Before this it largely worked but still failed to find some items conytaining the key word. As some items are spread across a number of different folders this is very annoying. Is there something to get this working again?

Comments

• Is it working in Smart Content? The Content Library search has long been more limited.

• I believe the content library search still has the database search option as default which is faster than file based search but offers limited filtering capabilities compared to smart content search. So if the items are not appearing in database search then chances are that their metadata is not installed properly and needs to be re-imported.

• A search in smart content only gets scene files and a couple of things from basics sets. I have not actively imported itemes into smart content, so these are a few thinks automatically placed there.  I have hundreds of items and do not relish having to import them all into smart content just so the search works again.

Normal search of content worked OK (not brilliantly, but maybe 80-90% of items came up from both DS and Poser format) before I upgraded to the latest version, now nothing. This is in file based search. Database search is the same as smart content and brings up just one or two things (at most- usually none).

• By re-importing metadata I meant redownloading the metadata for your existing items which you have already installed through DIM/Connect. You can do this through Content DB Maintenance > re-import metadata as shown below. You also need to check the logs for any error messages during this process.

daz-db-main.png
    360 x 444 - 19K
    daz-re-import-md.png
    742 x 221 - 16K
  • PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013

The file based search is pretty slow, especially if you have several content libraries, but the good thing is that the search can run in the background and doesn't stop you from using DS, not even navigating the content library.

I removed the Poser format libraries from Content Directory Manager and it shortended the search time quite significantly

At times the search can give the impression that it's finished, when it's not, you just have to wait a little longer and see if the progress bar has reached the end.

• mrinal said:

By re-importing metadata I meant redownloading the metadata for your existing items which you have already installed through DIM/Connect. You can do this through Content DB Maintenance > re-import metadata as shown below. You also need to check the logs for any error messages during this process.

Thanks. Presumably this only woks for things purchased off this site; I guess 2/3-3/4 of my items are freebies or purchased from other sites. That is why I need a search that it word rather than metadata based

• You will need to use the built-in Content DB editor for that. There are some vendor provided tools that can make the job a bit easier but I would recommend learning the content db editor before you use any of those vendor tools.
  • Thanks. I will have to go that. I will see how it goes, but it looks like many, many hours work. 

It may be quicker to rename items as (say "chair, modern, wood,..".) and do a file search on the computer.

• So 3rd party assets cannot be searched?

• MacTire said:

So 3rd party assets cannot be searched?

The Content Library search goes by file names and will work on anything, the other content panes use the database and so require metadata - Daz content will (almost) always have that, soem third party content will have it though it will usually have to be imported, or you can add your own.