MRL Dforce Bob taking 6+ hours to simulate?

I promise that I've checked my hardware and double-checked my methods to ensure that I'm doing the same thing before and after replication. Unlike my last thread, which was solved by me doing a reinstall, because I'm a dope.

So I decided to grab the MRL Dforce Bob hair and use it to replace the Classic Bob hair I'd been using on my favorite model, and was very pleased to see that I could get exactly the short-in-back-to-long-in-front bob cut I'd been wanting. Colors are great, renders up nicely, and is all around a great hair. However.

The hair is taking upwards of six or more hours to simulate when I set simulation running in Daz. Today I started a simulation at 9am and it finished at 6:15pm. And this was for a fairly static pose from the Exhibit Poses For Genesis 8.1 Female set (https://www.daz3d.com/exhibit-poses-for-genesis-81-female) - in fact, the one in the center of the splash image.

I cannot figure out what's taking this so long. Without the hair loaded, and with a dynamic clothing item (the bolero from the dforce x-fashion cyberpunk outfit 2.0) added in a separate scene and then simulated, it takes less than an hour to simulate. With the bolero and the Kinley dforce hair in the same scene, it still takes about an hour and change to simulate. Nowhere near the time that it takes the MRL Bob to simulate.

I'm running all dforce simulations with default settings, nothing special, nothing unexpected or particularly dynamic. No wind, no extreme motion or anything.

I tried it on a brand new scene, with just the model and the hair and the pose, and the results were the same.

I'm wondering if the hair just has that many dforce segments that it's bogging down with all that simulation, but the Kinley hair is fairly voluminous in nature, and it renders pretty quickly.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Maybe check to be absolutely sure that the dForce hair item is not intersaectring with the dForce clothing, and that niether of them is intersecting the figure.  If the hair cap that the hair is attatched to is intersecting the figure's head (a common and easy to fix problem) then every strand of hair is starting out intersecting the characters head,  I hope that makes sense.

Probably worth checking to see if the figure's SubD is cranked up really high.  I usually hide everything that isn't going to tough the items I'm trying to dForce, or sometimes even make a new scene subset with all unnecessary items deleted entirely.  Basically I try to remove as many potential problems as I can before I even encounter them.  I'm convinced that the extra time I spend doing all that is actually less time than when everything goes crazy and messes up.

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292

Thanks, Spacious. Much appreciated. :)

I've done a completely blank scene, with just the model, the hair, and the figure, and it still takes nearly six hours to complete. In contrast, the same model in a blank scene with Kinley Hair, same pose, simulates in just under an hour and change (like, about 1hr5min?). Simulating the character with Kinley Hair, the dforce Bolero from the Cyberpunk outfit, and the same pose, it takes just a bit longer than the Kinley Hair alone.

Yet when I try a fairly static, standing pose of just the character and the hair, regularly 6+ hours.

I'm not sure how I'd check to see that the hair cap is intersecting the head, as I have been working under the assumption that the hair cap should be properly attached and working properly - but if you could give me a pointer on what to look for, I'll try it out.

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481
    edited August 2021

I usually just hide the actual hair and then it's not blocking your view of the haircap so it's pretty easy to see if parts of the figures head are sticking through.  This problem is usualy easy to see as weird black marks on the figures forehead, but often it's the top or back of the head that is sticking out.  It's a side effect of the fact that the geometry of the haircap does not quite match the geometry of the the figures head.

Either way, if that's the problem, or when you do encounter that problem it's easily solved by just expanding the haircap by a few percent, either with a morph included with the product or by adding a push modifier found under edit / figure / geometry.  It seems like most figure and hair combinations benefit from a slight adjustment here even when it's not visible or causing a noticable problem.

The more I read about your issue, the more I think it may just be a driver issue.  If you're on WIndows it has a nasty habit of replacing the GPU driver while updating the OS.  It's a good idea to go directly to the manufacturer of your GPU's website for drivers.  If you have Nvidia GPU it seems like what they call studio drivers are better for DAZ than the game ready drivers.  Pretty much any problem with rendering or dForce is usually the GPU driver and updating it has always cleared up everything for me.  If you do not have a GPU and are using some type of computer with CPU integrated graphics, then that might just be the best performance you can expect, I honestly don't know, but the CPU cannot process information as quickly as a GPU.  It's probably worth checking under the advanced tab of the Simmulation settings pane to make sure that your GPU is selected to be used.

Beyond all that, that hair should not take 6 hours, and the other hair you mentioned should not take an hour either.  I'm sorry if none of this helps, but we've just about exhausted my knowledge on the subject.

Post edited by Spacious on
  • ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292

No, no, this helps tremendously. If I could click a "like" button on your reply, I would do so a hundred times.

Once I am able to get Daz to launch properly (as stated in another thread, I'm getting a Qtscript dll error after being forced to quit task last night after the application ended up hung for over an hour), I'll dive back in and give it a check-through.

My Win10 box has an nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 on it, and I'm pretty sure that my simulation is set for my GPU, but (once I'm back in action), I'll double check.

Thank you so much!