Ground shadow not showing when in "scene only"?

Hello, whenever I switch from "dome and scene" to "scene only", I can't seem to get a shadow going. Even when I use dome and scene, the shadow always cast to the left. I've tried messing with the shadow settings from my light (deep shadow map and raytraced) but this doesn't seem to work. Please help!

shadownotshowing.png
1914 x 1002 - 375K

Comments

• ok so the ground is part of the dome so won't be there in scene only as far as I know, the shadows in dome and scene are most likely from the enviromental lighting rather than your light.

you can create a large plane, say 20 meters with very few divisions and use that as a floor, that way you can also set its texture.

if you want a transparent render though with shadows and scene only you will probably have to look into shadow catchers or the advanced iray nodes, neither of which I've ever used before.

or actually you could probably set the environmental lighting intensity to 0 and use dome and scene.

• JVRendererJVRenderer Posts: 661
    edited August 2021

forgarbage2331 said:

Even when I use dome and scene, the shadow always cast to the left. !

If you change the Dome orientation Y, Your shadow will change accordingly

The left one is with Dome orientation Y at default. The shadow is on the left. The second one with Y at 90°, notice the shadows are in front.

0.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1015K
    90.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1004K
    Post edited by JVRenderer on
  • skinklizzard said:

ok so the ground is part of the dome so won't be there in scene only as far as I know, the shadows in dome and scene are most likely from the enviromental lighting rather than your light.

you can create a large plane, say 20 meters with very few divisions and use that as a floor, that way you can also set its texture.

if you want a transparent render though with shadows and scene only you will probably have to look into shadow catchers or the advanced iray nodes, neither of which I've ever used before.

or actually you could probably set the environmental lighting intensity to 0 and use dome and scene.

Yeah that does show the shadow now, but yeah I want it transparent. Thank you so much for responding!

• JVRenderer said:

forgarbage2331 said:

Even when I use dome and scene, the shadow always cast to the left. !

If you change the Dome orientation Y, Your shadow will change accordingly

The left one is with Dome orientation Y at default. The shadow is on the left. The second one with Y at 90°, notice the shadows are in front.

Thank you! But it does mess with the lighting :( I want to be able to use my own lights without that annoying default light

• ok so I've heard tell of it not being a perfect solution with possible alpha issues, but with the plane option I mentioned

select the plane and then look for a script in the scripts folder "Create Advanced Iray Node Properties"

and run that, then under the display settings for the plane you should see a "rendering" section, turn on Iray Matte and disable cast shadows

this should give you a transparent render with shadows from your light.

• skinklizzard said:

ok so I've heard tell of it not being a perfect solution with possible alpha issues, but with the plane option I mentioned

select the plane and then look for a script in the scripts folder "Create Advanced Iray Node Properties"

and run that, then under the display settings for the plane you should see a "rendering" section, turn on Iray Matte and disable cast shadows

this should give you a transparent render with shadows from your light.

Thanks! But where is "disable cast shadows"? I only see "turn on iray matte"

daz3d.png
    455 x 609 - 69K