Strange Texture Issues

I have these strange texture (or I suppose it could be lighting) issues with this particular model. It happens around the neck and collar bone area and looks worse depending on the type of lighting. The issue seems to go away when I change the "Normal Map" to none but then I also lose a lot of the details in the face. Is there a way to fix this without losing the normal map?

River_Tex_1.png
1000 x 1300 - 1M

Comments

• FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070

If the issue dissappears once you disable the normal map then that indicates that there's an issue with that particular map. Is this an 8.1 Character? If so, you'll want to take a look at the "head" normal map. In fact, make sure that the map set in that surface is the correct one. If it's a Genesis 8 Character, then the issue would be in the Torso map. If this is a character you bought here, you'll want to put in a ticket explaining that the normal map was baked incorrectly and causes the issue you're showing.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Snow_Crowe said:

I have these strange texture (or I suppose it could be lighting) issues with this particular model. It happens around the neck and collar bone area and looks worse depending on the type of lighting. The issue seems to go away when I change the "Normal Map" to none but then I also lose a lot of the details in the face. Is there a way to fix this without losing the normal map?

I think the more troublesome issue is that the figure's chest has twenty times less detail than his face. Seriously, it looks like it's a 256x256 pixel texture map.

What product is this? Did you buy it like this?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited August 2021

Did you happen to accidently change the smoothing on it? Which character is that?

NM, Took to long to post and other already posted

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • FenixPhoenixFenixPhoenix Posts: 3,070

margrave said:

Snow_Crowe said:

I think the more troublesome issue is that the figure's chest has twenty times less detail than his face. Seriously, it looks like it's a 256x256 pixel texture map.

Oh, wow! I was so focused on the issue circled that I didn't even realized that you're correct. It seems the torso maps have been reduced in size, making them look blurry as a result.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910
    edited August 2021

margrave said:

Snow_Crowe said:

I come to believe that it seems to be a common pratice sadly because in most cases you would have a shirt on the figure, I belileve. Not usually a pratice that I've seen on Daz figures and characters. I can't remember the names of the packs but I've only seen it twice in 17 yrs on a Daz product that did something like that. Daz has some of the best testers in this industry and they don't miss much and always have us fix the issues..

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • wouldnt we need to know what normal map you are using, e.g., material preset, what figure generation, what shader, what UV map on that shader...

maybe screencap your surface tab showing the following on the surfaces tab: the figure's surface names, the shader settings, the UV Map

Hunch: you are using a G8.1 figure, and you have the 'Neck' surface set up incorrectly, using a map designed for different UV map.

• The firgure is regular Genesis 8 and he's a ported model (River Ward from Cyberpunk 2077) I didn't create him but I know the person that did had issues previously with his toros textures and such. I'll shoot him a message and see if any of this can be fixed.