How to make a uniform eye texture for G8 figures?

Long story short, I am trying to replace a characters eyes with a specific pattern and the irises are being problematic. The pupils and scelera both load the pattern in at the same size but the irises shrink it about 75-100% (It doesn't say the ratio). If I just enlarge/shrink the pattern in photoshop it gets closer but the lines aren't perfect and the jump from iris to scelera is very rough and is very obvious. I also can't flip the eye 180deg cause then the eyelids and skin around the eye warp really bad.

From what I can tell I have 2 options but don't know how to do either. (any suggestions or other strategies are welcome and appreciated)

1). Fix whatever is making the iris shrink the file and have it load at the same scale as the other parts of the eye (That way I don't have to guess and check how much the iris auto-scaled)

2). Remove the iris and pupils so that the eye is essentially just one piece with one surface on it. Or have something go over the eye which I can then print the pattern on (This would be preferable, open to reccomendations for premade eyes from stores if you know of any)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Capture.JPG
1275 x 905 - 137K
download.png
299 x 168 - 14K

Comments

• Have you tried using the templates?

• edited August 2021

Catherine3678ab said:

Have you tried using the templates?

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • In order to apply a texture to a model it has to go to the correct place, relatively, on the map. The templates show where those correct places are.

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,254
    edited August 2021

johnnyappleseed218 said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Have you tried using the templates?

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean

As Richard mentioned, you need to put the new image to the correct placement on the area of the template that the desired mesh can read.

You need to use an image editor that can work with layers. {G.I.M.P., Photoshop, PaintShopPro, etc.} And go over the borders a bit, applying the new textures over the seam allowance/buffer zone so that the seams do not show on the figure. {esp. for making skins}

Templates are in your Product Library {Genesis 8 Starter} ... look for these:

Download the Templates and use those.png
    922 x 451 - 68K
    Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
  • chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

Maybe try hiding the eyes altogether and replacing them with sphere primitives? Getting those patterns to match up across multiple surfaces is going to be really hard, even with a template to work from.

Failing that, maybe this product would help: https://www.daz3d.com/sculptural-genesis-8-ultra-fun-kit I believe it includes custom UVs that mean your textures won't come out at different sizes across the different surfaces.

• Actually there's one surface that covers the entire eye if I recall correctly. We usually have it set to zero or near zero opacity, if one wants a "lens" cover type thing, that's the place to put the texture.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,891

Catherine3678ab said:

Actually there's one surface that covers the entire eye if I recall correctly. We usually have it set to zero or near zero opacity, if one wants a "lens" cover type thing, that's the place to put the texture.

Two, actually: cornea and eyemoisture (plus an additional eyemoisture surface on the eyelashes).

• Ah yes, and lots of 'fun' with those cornea bulges too.