Best way to get content from one old Win 7 pc to a new one Win 10

Hi,

I would really appreciate the best advise to transfer LOADS of content from my Win 7 pc to a brand new win 10 machine.

Also, is there a program free or other wise that can export the info for my G8F OCs also G3M OCs that transcribes all the morphs, FBM, character morphs, maybe even textures used with these characters, etc. so I can at least know what morphs, characters I need to install.

Thank you.

Comments

• boris0317_8c5066297c said:

Hi,

I would really appreciate the best advise to transfer LOADS of content from my Win 7 pc to a brand new win 10 machine.

Also, is there a program free or other wise that can export the info for my G8F OCs also G3M OCs that transcribes all the morphs, FBM, character morphs, maybe even textures used with these characters, etc. so I can at least know what morphs, characters I need to install.

Thank you.

What is 'best' is subjective ;-)

Get yourself a nice big external harddrive.
    Then bit by bit, copy the files from W7 to it.
    When done, use the remove safely hardware option and/or shut down that computer.
    Then open W10 and plug the harddrive into it.
    Tell D/S where to look for the content.

Allegedly there may be a cord that could be attached from one computer to another, making one the master the other the slave, and copy files over that way. However I'm not that much of a computer Geek so not recommending it. W7 and W10 are not likely to play nicely with each other ;-)

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Ya, the "SneakerNet" described above is the best means going between Win 7 and Win10.  Went through that a couple years ago where both systems were physically cabled to the same network, and the best I was able to achieve was an occassional one-way connection.  Fortunately Win7 to Win10.  Even my brother who is MS certified couldn't help.  New laptop w/ Win10 and workstation have no problem connecting wirelessly.

Can't help on the 2nd question.

• thenoobduckythenoobducky Posts: 68
    edited August 2021

The quick and dirty way is just to copy over all files and set up the base directories correctly. Easiest if you put them back at the exact some location. If you use DIM/Central also copy over the install manifests or DIM will think those are not installed (You also need to fix the path in install manifest if you put the files at different location). 

If you are rebuilding your content folder from scratch and would like to know which items you need then something like 

https://www.daz3d.com/content-gatherer

or this script can do it one file at a time: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/list_products_used/start

or my program might be able to help (not tested for win 7 and it says win10+ but it is for a different functionality than finding files).

As for how to physically copy files over, could you unplug the drives from old computer and plug into the new one either internally or externally?

Post edited by thenoobducky on
  • Easiest Way?

Surely that's take the HDD out of the old PC, put it in the new & then copy the files internally within the new machine - if you even feel the need to do that at all. If you don't, just add the correct place on the old drive as a second content directory for DS. Does rely on NOT having ever used something like DAZ Central which puts stuff in odd places, though. It's the sort of thing I'm planning on doing when my machine eventually gives up the ghost.

Regards,

Richard

• Catherine3678ab said:

boris0317_8c5066297c said:

Hi,

Thank you.

When done, use the remove safely hardware option and/or shut down that computer.

Allegedly there may be a cord that could be attached from one computer to another, making one the master the other the slave, and copy files over that way. However I'm not that much of a computer Geek so not recommending it. W7 and W10 are not likely to play nicely with each other ;-)

Thank you!

• thenoobducky said:

The quick and dirty way is just to copy over all files and set up the base directories correctly. Easiest if you put them back at the exact some location. If you use DIM/Central also copy over the install manifests or DIM will think those are not installed (You also need to fix the path in install manifest if you put the files at different location). 

If you are rebuilding your content folder from scratch and would like to know which items you need then something like 

or this script can do it one file at a time: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/scripting/api_reference/samples/metadata/list_products_used/start

or my program might be able to help (not tested for win 7 and it says win10+ but it is for a different functionality than finding files).

As for how to physically copy files over, could you unplug the drives from old computer and plug into the new one either internally or externally?

Thank you 

• boris0317_8c5066297c said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Hi,

Thank you.

Thank you!

You're quite welcome! I see that the duplication ghost was quite active, possibly a MOD will come along and take care of those extras.

• Catherine3678ab said:

Catherine3678ab said:

Hi,

Thank you.

Thank you!

You're quite welcome! I see that the duplication ghost was quite active, possibly a MOD will come along and take care of those extras.

I may have clicked several times, ;-) and the forum was acting twitchy... 

• richardandtracy said:

Easiest Way?

Surely that's take the HDD out of the old PC, put it in the new & then copy the files internally within the new machine - if you even feel the need to do that at all. If you don't, just add the correct place on the old drive as a second content directory for DS. Does rely on NOT having ever used something like DAZ Central which puts stuff in odd places, though. It's the sort of thing I'm planning on doing when my machine eventually gives up the ghost.

Regards,

Richard

Thank you. Never installed an old HDD into a new PC. Does the new PC just concider it an external storage drive, regardless of operating system, etc.? 

• thenoobducky said:

Thank you. Your last option seems the best right now. Get the old HDD into the new machine. Just never done that! What an adventure! Ha. 

• Doc Acme said:

Ya, the "SneakerNet" described above is the best means going between Win 7 and Win10.  Went through that a couple years ago where both systems were physically cabled to the same network, and the best I was able to achieve was an occassional one-way connection.  Fortunately Win7 to Win10.  Even my brother who is MS certified couldn't help.  New laptop w/ Win10 and workstation have no problem connecting wirelessly.

Can't help on the 2nd question.

Thank you 

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

If you don't want to actually install the old drives in your new machine, you can get a reasonably cheap bit of hardware called a "drive caddy" that essentially turns any HD into an external drive - you slot the HD into the top, plug the usb cable into your ne machine, and hey presto! there are your files. I have one to easily access stuff from generations of dead old PCs should I ever need to, without having to install the old drives in my new rig.

• They aren't expensive either. Did that with my wife's old laptop HDD. It's slower than an HDD, but if you have the time, it's perfectly reasonable.