Render can't be canceled

mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084

From time to time, sometimes a lot of times in a row, Studio won't let me cancel a render. It freezes in render mode is how I would describe it. The cancel button simply is not responsive, nor does the esc button work on the keyboard. Is it possible to add a cancel render button or something like that in the menu, since I am able to reach the menu and could, therefore, execute that command from there? Alternatively, is there a keyboard command combo that would stop a render?

Post edited by mcorr on

Comments

• Is it actually rendering, or is it doing prep work?

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084

it is furiously rendering ... usually when the fans are very engaged in cooling, the inability too cancel will happen.

• In order for cancel to work DS has to be processing the event queue - that doesn't happen with some prep stages (e.g. the offset greater than spring length warnings in a dForce simulation), and it may be that if all of the Iray threads are busy they don't pass control back to DS until one finishes - I certainly don't think DS can interrupt an active thread, so cancel may have to wait until the last active path hands its data back.