How can I tell I'm using GPU instead of CPU?

AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

Is there a way to tell in the output screen [that I'm using GPU instead of CPU]?

I've not had GPU rendering before. Just want to make sure I'm using it!

I'm assuming I am based on the GPU line below.

Thanks in advance for a pretty dumb question I think!

:-D

---

output snip...

Rendering in NVIDIA Iray

Compiling Shaders - 0/8

Rendering image

Rendering...

Iray (Statistics) : Geometry memory consumption: 434.493 MiB (device 0), 0.000 B (host)

Iray (Statistics) : Texture memory consumption: 3.245 GiB for 306 bitmaps (device 0)

Iray (Statistics) : Lights memory consumption: 21.577 MiB (device 0)

Iray (Statistics) : Material measurement memory consumption: 0.000 B (GPU)

Iray (Statistics) : Native CPU code generated in 0.008s

Iray (Statistics) : PTX code (2.844 KiB) for SM 8.0 generated in 0.012s

Iray (Statistics) : Materials memory consumption: 2.753 MiB (GPU)

Iray (Iteration) : 1

Iray (Canvas) : Render target canvas was written.

Iray (Iteration) : 15

Iray (Iteration) : 22

Edited for Please put your question in the post body and the title - Daz 3D Forums

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

The easiest place I can think of off hand to know which you are using is in the Advanced tab in your render settings where you can set it. 

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822
    edited August 2021

If you see those lines about "consumption", you are using the GPU. CPU fallback will kick in if the geometry or texture consumption increases past your VRAM, and you won't see the lines after those. But if you see Lights consumption, etc. then you're golden.

You can disable CPU fallback in the Advanced Render settings if you want to render on the GPU only.

Post edited by margrave on
  • AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

frank0314 said:

The easiest place I can think of off hand to know which you are using is in the Advanced tab in your render settings where you can set it. 

I double checked that and I'm good there! Thanks!!

• AabacusAabacus Posts: 403

margrave said:

If you see those lines about "consumption", you are using the GPU. CPU fallback will kick in if the geometry or texture consumption increases past your VRAM, and you won't see the lines after those. But if you see Lights consumption, etc. then you're golden.

You can disable CPU fallback in the Advanced Render settings if you want to render on the GPU only.

That was the assumption I was making but one never knows! Thank you!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

Aabacus said:

frank0314 said:

I double checked that and I'm good there! Thanks!!

How in the world did I miss that. Reading works better than skimming, sorry.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,831

I assume that any time that I see "Native CPU code generated" in the log lines that come up when you first start the render, that it's falling back to CPU. However, in the sample log you provided, there are also references to GPU, so I'm frankly confused. On my machine, I typically see either one or the other.

It's actually a feature I'd like for a future version of DAZ Studio: some kind of permanent and unambiguous indicator on the Render Progress dialog to let you know which mode is in use (and, heck, might as well show the rendering engine in use as well). The problem with looking at the log lines in the dialog is that if you aren't looking in the right place when the render starts, the key lines scroll out of sight and eventually get lost altogether. So an icon or a note that said "Iray [GPU]" or something like that permanently displayed on the progress dialog would be nice.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,014

bytescapes said:

I assume that any time that I see "Native CPU code generated" in the log lines that come up when you first start the render, that it's falling back to CPU. However, in the sample log you provided, there are also references to GPU, so I'm frankly confused. On my machine, I typically see either one or the other.

It's actually a feature I'd like for a future version of DAZ Studio: some kind of permanent and unambiguous indicator on the Render Progress dialog to let you know which mode is in use (and, heck, might as well show the rendering engine in use as well). The problem with looking at the log lines in the dialog is that if you aren't looking in the right place when the render starts, the key lines scroll out of sight and eventually get lost altogether. So an icon or a note that said "Iray [GPU]" or something like that permanently displayed on the progress dialog would be nice.

Two lines are also missing;

CUDA device 0 (Your GPU): Allocated 50.092 MiB for frame buffer
    CUDA device 0 (Your GPU): Allocated 364.438 MiB of work space

But the log doesn't say thet it failed to reserve space for them...

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,588
    "Native CPU code generated" You also see this if you are using both CPU and GPU.