Installing new content on an external drive, but keeping current content where it is

amysparklesamysparkles Posts: 99

This may seem like a really stupid question, and forgive me if this has been asked before, but is it possible to install newly purchased Daz Content on an external drive but keep the content I already have where it is? Will both directories be viewable in Smart Content?

The reason I am asking is I currently have about 600GB of installed content, the vast majority of which is visible in Smart Content. I am considering installing future purchases on an external SSD so as to not take up any more space on my main drive. I have browsed the forum and seen threads related to moving ALL content to an external drive, but so far as I can tell, nothing about installing content on multiple drives. If I keep my current content where it is and just install anything I purchase in the future on an external drive, will it all still be listed in Smart Content?

I would also like to put any new 'saved' poses, materials, scene subsets, etc, on an external drive too. Will that also be viewable in Smart Content if I keep what I have saved already in the current location?

Post edited by amysparkles on

Comments

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198
    edited August 2021

You can have as many content directories as you like (or at least I am not aware of any limitations).

Inside Daz Studio you must add the new path to Preferences > Content > Content Manager.

How are you installing?

Post edited by felis on
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,910

If you wanted to free up room on your primary you can even jsut move that library to the external and then change the directry location within DIM (If using it to install) and Daz Studio. You can place those folders wherever you like and install to dozens of locations as long as they are mapped within DS.

• amysparklesamysparkles Posts: 99
    edited August 2021

Thank you for replying. That's great to know. I had a feeling it was possible but thought I had better ask to make sure. I think it would apply to anyone who fills up an external drive and has to use a second too. Content seems to eat drive space fast. 

I install my content using the download manager (DIM), so I assume I should change the directory from the default to the new folder I wish to install content as well.

I was aware of being able to create different content folders in the Content Library tab, but was not sure if this could be applied to Smart Content. Since I have always installed my Daz content to the default location. My saved presets files (material presets, poses I created myself, my characters, scene subsets, etc) are in the default location too.  I do not wish to move what I have installed already, just plan on installing anything I buy in the future on an external hard drive.

Post edited by amysparkles on

Just make sure you rememebr to add the new library to DS as well and all will be good. Everything compatible will still show in smart content as well.

• felisfelis Posts: 4,198

If you only moves new content, my assumption is product upgrades to products in the old directory could cause issues.

edited August 2021

No it doesn't affect your updates. Updates are done through metadata I belive.

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • felis said:

If you only moves new content, my assumption is product upgrades to products in the old directory could cause issues.

Content installed through Daz Studio won't be an issue, but content installed through Install Manager or Daz Central does remember where it was placed and so yes, updates can be a slight issue. There is an option in the advanced settings for DIM to use the current path, rather than the installed path, for updates.