Make iRay preview renders low quality and make it faster, maybe?

I am still figuring out Daz, going through tutorials and such. I like to pray around with shadows a lot. As of now, iRay preview is the only way to know how my multiple lights are playing around to create the desired shadow effect. Unfortunately, each extra light adds extra time for computation time. Each extra character and clothing, adds extra time.

The final render, I dont mind, if that takes minutes and hours. However, is there any way to reduce the quality at which iRay preview, so it computes less, so I get the preview faster?

Or, is there a better, easier way to see light and shadow interactions? As of now, I switch to 'Texture Mode', which also shows a little bit of light information, for all my scene setup before switching to IRay preview.

Comments

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

You need to use the Draw Settings pane. Just make sure you're in Iray preview mode or the options won't appear.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,591

vijayasimhabr said:

I am still figuring out Daz, going through tutorials and such. I like to pray around with shadows a lot. As of now, iRay preview is the only way to know how my multiple lights are playing around to create the desired shadow effect. Unfortunately, each extra light adds extra time for computation time. Each extra character and clothing, adds extra time.

The final render, I dont mind, if that takes minutes and hours. However, is there any way to reduce the quality at which iRay preview, so it computes less, so I get the preview faster?

Or, is there a better, easier way to see light and shadow interactions? As of now, I switch to 'Texture Mode', which also shows a little bit of light information, for all my scene setup before switching to IRay preview.

A few things you may wish to consider:

1. Make the window you're viewing the Iray preview in smaller. This will make it resolve faster.

2. Use spotlights and change the view so you're looking through them like a camera. Although you can't see the shadows, you can see where the shadows will be this way (even in texture mode).

3. Hide parts of the scene that may not be necessary at the time.

Of course, this is in addition to all of the usual stuff (better graphics card, optimizing draw panel settings, etc.). One additional thing is that more lights actually cause Iray to resolve quicker as opposed to slow things down (unlike rendering in 3DL).

HTH.

- Greg

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

algovincian said:

2. Use spotlights and change the view so you're looking through them like a camera. Although you can't see the shadows, you can see where the shadows will be this way (even in texture mode).

To add to this, there's an option in Draw Settings which will change the way Iray handles movement during an Iray preview. By default, it's very laggy since Iray will try to draw the frame while you're moving it. However, you can change it so you see only the bounding box while you're orbiting the camera/lights, making it lightning fast. Unfortunately, I don't remember what the option is labelled. 

• @algovincian and @margrave

I ended up using a combination of both of your advice. I looked into draw settings (never opened it till you folks mentioned it) and have started using the 'bounding box' option. That makes moving around and changing angles faster. So, thats good.

Also, I have set the viewing window to a a very low resolution. For example, I like to work with square aspect rations. So, I have set the current window to 100 X 100. It appears faster, but I wont know until I start playing around for a few days.

Thank you, as always.