Fixing The Post-Graft "Cave"? - Solved

ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292

Other than loading an entirely new instance of my figure, is there any way to fix that big "caving" in a character's body that happens after removing an anatomical graft from a body model? I'm sure we all know the sort of thing I'm talking about. Remove a torso graft, big hole in chest. Remove a tail graft, big hole over the coccyx. All that geometry collapsing in on itself, as though it was never there. Do we have a solution that can easily restore the previously-grafted geometry to get a character's body back in shape after the graft goes away?

I'm sure there must be some way to do this, but if there is, it's not obvious.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Derisive laughter because I haven't found the magic button, yet?

Many thanks in advance. :)

Post edited by Chronopunk on

Comments

• What do you mean by remove? if you delete the geoGraft the hole should be estored. I've never seen the caving you describe.

• margravemargrave Posts: 1,822

Geografts automatically hide the geometry, otherwise it would clip through. To fix it, IIRC, you need to use the Geometry Editor and unhide the grafted geometry.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,891

I'm with Richard, and have yet to see a geograft leave a hole when it's deleted. If you're hiding the geograft, or in parenting it, or anything like that, then there's your problem. But in my experience, deleting a geograft always restores the hidden polygons. What product(s) are you using that are giving you this problem?

• ChronopunkChronopunk Posts: 292

Hm. I see this every time I use (and then no longer need) the basic anatomical elements from the various Pro Bundles, as well as a popular collidable breast graft for the G8F figure, and so on. Deleting the graft leaves me with the same big empty space as I get when simply hiding it.

To the bit about parenting the grafts - the grafts basically always parent themselves to the figure when loaded? Select Figure, attach graft, graft is now parented/sub-menu'd to the base figure. I have never seen them not use the base figure as the parent item. Or do you mean "parent" in a different fashion?

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,891

Chronopunk said:

Hm. I see this every time I use (and then no longer need) the basic anatomical elements from the various Pro Bundles, as well as a popular collidable breast graft for the G8F figure, and so on. Deleting the graft leaves me with the same big empty space as I get when simply hiding it.

That's odd. I can't account for what might be causing that, but maybe Richard has an idea?

To the bit about parenting the grafts - the grafts basically always parent themselves to the figure when loaded? Select Figure, attach graft, graft is now parented/sub-menu'd to the base figure. I have never seen them not use the base figure as the parent item. Or do you mean "parent" in a different fashion?

No, I meant in the sense of adding it to one character, then deciding you wanted to parent it to a different figure (which would not be the correct way to do that anyway).

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,387

Chronopunk said:

um pretty sure unfitting the graft or deleting it should restore the hidden faces lol

You know what?

I'm going to go do a full clean install of the Studio base application on both my MacBook and my Win10 box. Both are update installs from older installations (the Win10 box, while new to me, used to belong to someone else who also ran Studio). Let's try the "get back to the basics" approach and see what happens.

Well, I will sit with this big old plate with my freshly cooked hat and eat it gladly, because that fixed it.

I can't say why it was doing it before, but I just double checked it on both machines after doing the full reinstall and there's no sign of the caving.

I will now entertain good-natured ribbing.