Modifying Textures (Adding Decals) In Daz Studio or PhotoShop?

Can't remember if I asked a similar question but I'm in a bit of a conundrum here. 

I want to modfy an existing texture to a suit, i.e. what was done in Decal Master, which I have. Unfortunately, Decal Master doesn't seem to work, at least with the outfit I'm trying to add the decal to. 

The issue here is that the outfit is made up of segments texture wise; the breastplate in particular, is where I want to add the decal, but in Daz Studio, adding it via Layed Image Editor does nothing as only part of the decal shows up. The same apparently applies to PhotoShop. What I need is the ability to add the decal directly onto the 3D model, and the texture saving accordingly to where the decal should be on the breastplate, if that makes any sense. Very much how Decal Master would be able to work. 

Any solutions or walkthroughs anyone can steer me towards? I'd appreciate it greatly. 

Comments

• If the outfit is tiling its maps you may need to apply the decal via an iray Decal Node, or you may want to use a Geometry Shell where you can set the tiling to 1x1 and then add the decal and mask out the rest of the shell.

• Richard Haseltine said:

If the outfit is tiling its maps you may need to apply the decal via an iray Decal Node, or you may want to use a Geometry Shell where you can set the tiling to 1x1 and then add the decal and mask out the rest of the shell.

I rarely render in Iray as it takes too slow (I'm on a Mac and Apple hates Nvidia for some reason). Primarily a 3Dlight renderer, I'm looking for a way to apply the decal to the texture as quickly and as easily as possible. If I have to do it piecemeal/trial and error style I'm willing to do so. But one of the reasons why I used Decal Master (used via Parallel Desktop since it's a Windows-only app, FYI) was so that I didn't have to deal with the lengthy hassle of making sure the decal pieces lined up correctly. 

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206
    edited August 2021

Decals usually best done in something like photoshop or substance painter, you can apply shaders and rescale them in DAZ3D but to do good texturing you'll probably need something better at retexturing DDS files and the like. DAZ3D lacks tools like clone brush & other texture tools for images.

The way i would tackle the issue would be use Photoshop with a DDS plugin view the DDS file transfer the decal you want by using clone brush from image you want then you set the bump maps for that by saving the file thats been edited in the DDS format then doing any final displacement detail of the decal if needed using something like mesh grabbber if your good at it in DAZ3D, so say you want to have a patch on some clothing you use mesh grabber to mould the mesh according to the shape of your decal kind of like a sculpter.

Or you could make a layered texture in photoshop place it over the DDS file to transfer the decal image then use displacement pattern shaders in DAZ3D to fit or scale to your needs. 

In daz you could also tie the decal to a shaped mesh apply it like a prop to an outfit part then parent or graft the prop the the part of the body or outfit.

Post edited by Cenobite on