Would storing your DAZ content library on an external hard drive be noticeably slower?

Title kinda asks it all. 

My library is starting to get a bit large for a single SSD. Still got a ways to go, but my question comes down to whether or not there would be a noticeable difference in performance speed, like loading content into a scene, if all those files were stored on an external hard drive. 

Thanks! 

Comments

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,126

My content library and DIM files have been living on a 6TB "My Book" USB drive for years.No problems here.

Most, if not all, of the time spent loading stuff is DS doing all the morph linking stuff.

I do have one of those new Samsung 980 Pro NVME drives.I tried moving everything to it, but I really didn't notice a huge difference.

It is faster than the USB drive, but considering the cost of large capacity NVME drives compared to USB drives, I'll just keep using the USB drives.

Also, when the time comes for me to move my 4TB of Daz Studio "stuff" to a new computer I'll basically just have to plug the My Book into the new PC, tell DIM and DS where it is and I'm back up and running in less than 5 minutes.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

When I moved my stuff to an external drive, if anything it was a little bit faster. Maybe because I only had 30GB free space left on C:

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471

I got a 4TB drive on a cheap sale and thot 'why not'. I really like the portability plus freeing up my pc for more short-term items - like that game I just 'have' to play then get bored with after a month and delete.

• OVDOVD Posts: 253

Nice, thanks for the input, everyone. 

• CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206

For sure access to your data would be much slower external depending on your setup, but you would have to check current technology out to see if anything faster is available with external drives, i know you can buy external drives that hold large storage. one person put it moving to external might free up speed if you only use one drive on your system, i typically have one 500 GB drive for Windows OS alone while i have a 2TB evo NVME. M2 SSD on my mainboard, i don't see a difference if i say just went a bought another EVO drive and plugged in a bunch more 2tb evo drives onto the PSU then plugged into the mainboard cables to say plugging in an external usb port flash drive, they take less power and don't spin discs like old HD's so should not be prone to revolution slow down or problems reading the spinning disc data, it's not like your waiting for it to power revolutions or start moving anything but pass voltage through one medium too another so you more looking at what kind of conductive material passes data better rather then faster revolutions of older HD's.

Took me something like 5 hours to move around 600gb to an external drive so there is some slow down moving data to externals & reading it but as for how fast your system reads data stored on that drive depends on the technology and material used i guess.