What's the limits on a Nvida 3090

I have been saving up to purchase a new system and have been leaning towards getting one with a 3090. My purpose is I want to be able to render an elaborate scene, by this I mean a Scene with a room and several characters. 

My question is to those that have a 3090 what is the limit you have been able to do and render in a reasonable time (2-4 hours)? If anyone has this card can you post how big your scene was with characters and a room. I want to know the limits I can do with one 3090.

Comments

• dawgzangdawgzang Posts: 16

2-4 hours? How old is your current card? I use dual  RTX 2080 TI's and rarely have something take more than 40 mins. I finnished a single image pool scene with with 18 characters (Gen 3 females and Gen 8 females). It may have taken and hour. If you are going to look at a new card you should comapare your card now to a 3080 or 3080 TI. Use the bench test post on this forum to get an understanding of what improvement a new card will bring. I feel if you are not doing full production work on a major project a 3090 is a waste.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341041/daz-studio-iray-rendering-hardware-benchmarking/p1

• Well, my laptop currently runs a gfx 1050 ti so it's not new but not that old either. But no comparison to a 3080 or 3080 TI. With my current card depending on how big the scene is it takes 4-8 hours 

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562
    edited August 2021

cstrauss42a said:

With my current card depending on how big the scene is it takes 4-8 hours 

Have you checked that your GPU is being used at all. Two clothed characters and a room may have total textures too big to load to your 4GB VRAM, so only the CPU is used for rendering.  An RTX 3090 has 24GB VRAM will accommodate far more texture load, and, this is a guess, probably render at least 10-15x faster than a 1050ti, regardless of the VRAM.

Edit - have a look here for comparisons.

Post edited by fred9803 on
  • CenobiteCenobite Posts: 206
    edited August 2021

This doesn't even use GPU power, all CPU power, my GPU doesn't even start seems to only use CPU, games will use the GPU i find, so spending $2500 on a graphics card means nothing in this editor, you can do the same on a 1070 as i have proven.

My core i9 10th gen Xcore with 256gb DDR4 ram on mainboard. 2080ti Nvidia GPU DDR 6 12GB Vram that doesn't impact render speed the cpu does.

If your looking at render speeds check your SubD levels on each body or outfit piece, hair mesh this takes ages to render the higher the setting is but produces more compressed images.

Image 1 in the pic below took 5 minutes subd level one. 2nd image took 41 minutes 07 seconds with all characters and hair & outfits set to SubD level 2.

Join Us 5 minutes 43 seconds.jpg
    2400 x 1280 - 2M
    Join Us 41.07 SubDlevel2.jpg
    2400 x 1280 - 2M
    Post edited by Cenobite on
  • mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084

The total GBs available is just one issue ... the other is how many cudas the card has. Assuming you have enough gigs to hold the full scene, then the number of cudas will determine how fast the scene is rendered. Therefore, buying two lesser cards (like two 12 GBs) might make sense if (1) it most of your scenes only need 12GB or less, (2) you are paying the same or less than the 3090 costs and (3) if you have lots more cudas to show for it.

• Cenobite said:

This doesn't even use GPU power, all CPU power, my GPU doesn't even start seems to only use CPU, games will use the GPU i find, so spending $2500 on a graphics card means nothing in this editor, you can do the same on a 1070 as i have proven.

My core i9 10th gen Xcore with 256gb DDR4 ram on mainboard. 2080ti Nvidia GPU DDR 6 12GB Vram that doesn't impact render speed the cpu does.

If your looking at render speeds check your SubD levels on each body or outfit piece, hair mesh this takes ages to render the higher the setting is but produces more compressed images.

Image 1 in the pic below took 5 minutes subd level one. 2nd image took 41 minutes 07 seconds with all characters and hair & outfits set to SubD level 2.

Off topic:

I feel those ladies might be up to something.

• Thank you all for the input and the examples. Yes, I know my limitation on my current 1050 ti and when it renders with the GPU it is pretty quick usually less than an hour. (if it is not a complex scene). There are just so many variables when rendering and with my current card, those variables affect my desired outcome hence why I am looking to upgrade to a desktop with a higher-end graphics card. Right now the 24GB on the 3090 seems more cost-effective than buying a system and adding a second Nvidia card especially at the prices and the availability of them. 

To be honest I do not really understand the Cuda thing or how many my system has. I know it has some cause it pops up in the render log rendering with Cuda 0 my guess is since it's 0 that means I have 1?

Right now I am looking at systems that come with a 3090, I would even settle for a system with 2080 if I could find a second to add but as I said right now they are hard to find in my area. 

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

I believe your best option right now is finding a system with an RTX 3090 as the GPUs are hard to find and very expensive by themselves.

I went from a 960 to a 2080 and the benefit to render times was unbelievable.Scenes that took > 90 minutes rendered in less than 15 minutes. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the 3090. Let us know who you go. Cheers.