GTX 1060 to RTX 3060 - some thoughts

So, I finally recieved my new RTX 3060 computer setup this week.

Right off the bat, a scene that was taking an hour plus on the old computer (or may be two hours. I canceled the render before it would reach 100 %) is now done in less than 10 minutes. So, yes, I am very happy so far with the new computer.

But, some questions remain.

1. I sort of assumed or hoped that with RTX 3060 being a newer card with 12 GB of VRAM, the rendering will finally happen on the GPU. Nope. just like on the old computer, here also rendering continues to happen on CPU. Once again, its 100 % CPU usage. I dont understand why? Does Daz not use GPU? How is it structured? is it something like this?

Daz Studio > Passes information to GPU > Passes information to CPU > Final Render?

2. If the CPU is still doing all the heavy lifting, then, what does the GPU even do? If I were to buy a computer without GPU, would Daz still do the exact same thing? Did I just waste so much money on GPU for no reason? I mean, does the GPU help at all?

I apologise if all this sounds like dumb questions. I am new to all this 3D stuff and trying to understand how the different pieces work together.

Comments

• Update

Okay, i just realized (and after reading other forum threads), task manager does not show GPU usage. I switched to the Xbox Game Overlay, and yes, GPU is being used 100 %. Okay, I see it. So, that's one of my quesions answered, about the GPU contribution.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 517
    edited July 2021

By default, Iray will use all devices for rendering.

Go to "Render settings > Advanced" and uncheck "CPU".

CPU will still be used, but not 100%

Post edited by stem_athome on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,514
    It also depends on the power of your CPU. I have an 8yo machine, and feeding data to my GTX 1060 takes 25% of the CPU capacity. Going to a 3060, well, based on your performance ratios, my CPU couldn't feed data to the 3060 fast enough and would end up as a bottleneck even with no rendering happening in CPU.
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

You need to also in the render settings use only 1/4 to 1/2 the CPU cores/threads in CPU Affinity setting in iRay.

• @stem_athome @richardandtracy @nonesuch00

Thank you for all of your advice. 

Ultimately, I have decided to not change anything. I have dedicated one entire computer for Daz (and other 3D and Photo work). I put this computer for rendering, and then, I just go on and continue my regular work on another computer. Daz wants to take up 100 % of everything so be it :) 

But yes, I will remember your tips and suggestions if I ever have to work and render at the same time.