DForce with strand-based hair?

I created some nice strand-based hair, using Daz's new strand-based hair tool, and then tried to convert it to dForce hair.  Following various tutorials, I set up the weight map so that the top of the head would not simulated. When I went to simulate the hair, Daz first had me do a kernel recompile, which seemed to go fine.  (This was my first attempt with dForce.  I'm using an admittedlky ancient GTX 980, 4GB VRAM.)  The simulation ran for 18 minutes, throwing tons of offset errors.  "rest length < collsion offset (0.0215073 < 0.20001)" and such. Then it declared there was an error and no simulation happened.

Is there a way around this?  I'm guessing dForce is not designed for the many polys in strand-based hair.  (How can I tell how many polys there are in the hair, by the way?)  Or maybe the issue is my old card.  Or maybe dForce hair should just be strips with textures and maps?  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,878

Only PAs have access to the tools to convert Daz strand-based hair to dForce hair. You can apply the cloth type dForce modifier to polygonal hair, though.

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,891

The instructions you were following were a method for setting up mesh hair for dForce. As Barb noted, only PAs can create "dForce hair" using SBH. 

• SelekSelek Posts: 70

Ah, okay, that explains it.  OK, I'll play around with mesh hair.  Thanks.