How to identify a problem with DIM?

I have bought an asset at rendo and transformed it to a DIM with a custom script. It happens that the DIM does not install it. The DIM error message is particularly uninformative as all I get is "Install failed" (either on screen or in the log).

They may probably be several reasons caused by the asset or my script (though I have already successfully converted tens of assets with it). The dim file seems correct wrt the DIM specs.

So my question:Is there a way to have more information from IM in order to identify the problem?

(and I know that I can do a manual install. My problem is really to understand why DIM does not accept my file.)

Comments

• TogireTogire Posts: 408

Actually I solved my file problem, but not my DIM problem.

For the file, I used the free Daz IM Creator (from sharecg) and it worked. I knew this application, but it is interactive and needed to rapidly convert many files in a batch way. This is why I wrote this script.

There must be a problem with my converter, but DIM gives no way to fix it. What is weird is that I have already batch dimified with my script complete directories full of freebies and rendo assets without any problem. I have even successfully redimified daz assets that I considered as poorly organized.

Anyway, if anybody has some way to debug this kind of problem with DIM I am interested. Once the script is crash proof, maybe it can also interest some people.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,878
    DIM writes to a log file. Have you checked it to see if there is more info? I'm not at the computer, but I think the log is accessible from the gear icon.

Yes, it is available under the gear icon and I have already checked. I wished it was as verbose as DS log, but it only says something like "install failed" without any precision. :(

• alainmerigot said:

Yes, it is available under the gear icon and I have already checked. I wished it was as verbose as DS log, but it only says something like "install failed" without any precision. :(

If the product installed "like a plugin" (that is, with elevated privileges) then check the helper log too.

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 371

Have you reviewed the documentation at http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/referenceguide/tech_articles/start ?

There are a couple other tools for creating install manager files, and I am not completely happy with any of them, but CDDS seems to be the most responsive to adding features. I don't think it can be used without the UI though.

If the above linked documentation does not resolve your issue, if you can post your generated Manifest.dsx and Supplement.dsx files we may be able to identify the issue.

Thanks for the link. I had already read the documentation and, as I said, my script has already successfully converted many files. Concerning the asset, nothing fancy; It is a regular asset with some props that does not require any privilege, and the size is small 12M.

Here is a link to a zip with the Manifest.dsx, Supplement.dsx, and the dsx that DIM generates when it scans the Download directory.

https://mega.nz/file/ugE1BYYY#ILxBqlEsIE3zTvtoiA3jb-BMaK4XZ4ki6rG0VupmfMc

Thanks for your help.

• OmnifluxOmniflux Posts: 371

I don't know if this is the only problem, but in XML you need to escape the predefined entities.

<File TARGET="Content" ACTION="Install" VALUE=".../Partial Morphs & Poses/..."/>

should be

<File TARGET="Content" ACTION="Install" VALUE=".../Partial Morphs & Poses/..."/>

Thanks a lot. It worked. In my script, I did not do any processing of file names and probably the previous files had regular filenames without special characters. And that is the reason why it worked for these previous files and not for this specific asset.

This definitely solved the issue.