Removing enbedding morphs and rigging from items...

Is there a way to do this in Studio? A hat that was originally intended for M4 that I'd like to use a simple prop without having it want to be parented a figure? There are many older clothing items and props in my library that were embedding with morphs for figures I no longer use. Being able to load them into a scene as simple props without morphs and rigging would be very useful. For example, a cane that wants to conform to Victoria 4 and will only move conjunction with the ways that figure will move.

Comments

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,440

You can simply Edit -> Figure -> Rigging -> Convert Figure to Prop. That will take care of the current instance. If you want to make it permanent for later re-use, you can save as a scene subset (with embedded geometry), or save as a new Support Asset -> FIgure/Prop Asset with its geometry in the data folder with all the other assets.

• crashworshipcrashworship Posts: 216
    edited July 2021

NorthOf45 said:

You can simply Edit -> Figure -> Rigging -> Convert Figure to Prop. That will take care of the current instance. If you want to make it permanent for later re-use, you can save as a scene subset (with embedded geometry), or save as a new Support Asset -> FIgure/Prop Asset with its geometry in the data folder with all the other assets.

That works but the object's center remains where the rigging would be. So any movement rotates or moves from where the hip was. I'd like to turn it into a simple prop without the ghost rigging. It's various movement axes remain centered away from the object.

Post edited by crashworship on
  • MadaMada Posts: 1,892

I would export the obj at base resolution, and import it as a new item. Use the joint editor tool to set the start and end points. Put the start point where you want the rotation point to be, and save as a prop.

• crashworshipcrashworship Posts: 216

Mada said:

I would export the obj at base resolution, and import it as a new item. Use the joint editor tool to set the start and end points. Put the start point where you want the rotation point to be, and save as a prop.

Can I do that without the export/import process once I've converted into a prop?

Yes, it depends on where the hat is positioned on its own (Y Translate) and the location of the Center Point. Drop the hat to zero height, then, if needed, move the Center Point with the Joint Editor to the zero height point also. It should load back in at zero height after it has been saved.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,892

crashworship said:

Mada said:

Can I do that without the export/import process once I've converted into a prop?

Yes - but if you do the export/import you will get rid of all extra morphs too making for a leaner file

Mada said:

crashworship said:

Mada said:

Yes - but if you do the export/import you will get rid of all extra morphs too making for a leaner file

True, but some of the morphs might be handy to have, like brim shape, that are not related to rigging, or the character's generation.

Not trying to start a tug-of-war, Mada certainly knows about this stuff, just exploring the options.